Splitting to two amps...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting to two amps...

OK, now I've been using my new set-up, that I showed in the other thread, and I've been running both amps at once. I have my ADA/VHT rig that I run into on one side, then a Metal Zone into a Valvestate combo(I've had that sh!t for years) on the other. The 1X12 Marshall has a pretty cool snarl to it, just no balls because it's a 1X12, and it's 65W of soild state power. That's where the ADA/VHT rig picks up the low end with it's fat tube crunch. The ADA sounds awesome on it's own, and the Marshall sounds nowhere near as powerful, but they compliment eachother nicely. Anyone else running two amps?

Re: Splitting to two amps...

I used to split my pedals into two paths after the OverDrive and Distortion - one side into a Flanger then to an amp, and the other side into a Chorus and Delay then into another amp - sounded great, even for a couple of cheesy Gorillas [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Now I run my ADA/TSR12 into two Mixer/Recorder channels with different EQ settings on each channel, panned hard left/right - really fattens up a one-guitar setup.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I used to run an old DOD Overdrive Plus into a cheesy little Gorilla 1x8 (or was it a 1x10?) combo amp that I sat on top of a Peavey 1x15 bass combo and then used to run a DOD stereo chorus into both amps. It sounded pretty neat.

Now I've got a Mesa F-30 1x12 and sometimes also run from a Marshall stereo chorus pedal into either my old Valvestate 2x12 or Fender RocPro 1000 head with Crate 4x12 cab. It sounds great in stereo when they're spread far apart down in my basement.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, I'm running a delay into both amps as my splitter(DD-5) then the smaller Marshall has a phaser in front of it. My flanger sucks(soundtank, got it for free or something like that). I like ping pong delay sometimes, and definitely having two amps/channels with different EQs does make a real difference in fattening up a single guitar. I noticed when my friend's band added a second guitar player, while they were teaching him the music at first he would just double the other guitar player, since they only had one guitar part written. With both of them playing even the same part the guitars sounded much fuller.

Comment

Yup - that always sounds good [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
          What makes it even better is if one guy's playing one octave lower, or if one's playing notes 1 and 2 of a chord and the other is doing notes 2 and 3 of the same chord.

At first I only had a BOSS SuperOverDrive and the one Distortion pedal (Applause Super Distortion), but then got an MXR Distortion+, and split out of the SOD into those two - man, talk about killer [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Then the Applause died, which really sucked because it was the first pedal I'd ever heard that didn't need the SuperOD in front of it to get a good, saturated "shred" tone.
          I replaced it with a RockTek Distortion pedal. It was ok for like Classic Rock, but just could NOT produce a Master Of Puppets crunch, even with the SOD in front.

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I used to run two amps at once but the Randall is down right now and I sure miss it.Anyhow Morley A B Y pedal one side to old Digitech RP12 into Randall RG100ES and Randall 4x12.Other side to FurmanPL+, MP1,ART-SGX2000,BBE362nr and Mesa 20/20 into a G-Benz 2x12 g/flex. Randall has the great 80's crunch and solid state cleans while the Mesa is fat and sings.You can switch from one amp to the other or play them together [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

When I saw Throwdown a few weeks ago, their guitarist had a really cool setup-to compensate for the other guitarist who had to miss the show, he had a 5150 into a Randall cabinet on one side of the stage that was very scooped, and on the other side he had a Dual Rec halfstack that sounded more round and midrangey. He used a Whirlwind A/B box to switch between the two of them or use both to stimulate two guitarists playing. It was quite an interesting dynamic!

Comment

Working...
              X