Soldano Hot Rod 50+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldano Hot Rod 50+

what is a good price for one of these? No, I'm not looking for an appraisal value to sell one [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I threw a bid on one a while ago and the high bidder backed out and I have a second chance to get it but I really don't know what they go for. I really don't need another amp but hey, if the price is right why not [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    shawnlutz.com

Re: Soldano Hot Rod 50+

$800 to $1000 would be the range.

Comment

thanks Chuck....I went to hit the BIN on the offer but the seller retracted his second chance offer becuse his min amount was too low...oh well. I guess he'll re-list it.
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Hey, I should be getting mine next week, I'll make ya a great deal if I don't like it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

First thing mine is getting is a pair of TungSol 5881s and old USA 12ax7s from my private stash... then it's going over to a friend's house to do comparisons with his SLO for grins.

Pete

Comment

Can't wait for the reveiw.

Comment

I paid $650 for one Shawn but that was some time ago...

I remebered I like my Korean made 60 better for some reason....but it was long ago....the 60 reminded me of a classic Gary Moore tone ...(corridores of power) era.

I'm sure Pete's advice would greatly improve it since he investigated it much further than i ever did..

The HR was more "brittle" sounding to me..but it came with the stock sovteks provided.....but so did the 60.
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Hey, I should be getting mine next week, I'll make ya a great deal if I don't like it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

First thing mine is getting is a pair of TungSol 5881s and old USA 12ax7s from my private stash... then it's going over to a friend's house to do comparisons with his SLO for grins.

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

if it doesn't pass the Pete's seal of approval test not sure I'd want it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I am curious tho how it compares to the mighty SLO, I hear that the paper clips they use at Soldano are "based off" of the SLO [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

hmmmm ..from what I heard and played there is no comparison between the two amps..

Not exactly like comparing a Corvette to a Chevette but close...IMO [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

hey pete, why not kt88's?
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    hey pete, why not kt88's?

[/ QUOTE ]
                    This one was for Pete, Sorry. But I would like to share my experience. I'm the 50watter SLO clonner, Remember?. My amp had Sovtek 5881. I retubed to major NOS: Tung Sol 6550 & RCA Long Plates. The results of 6550 conversion: improved definition and articulation at high vol/gain. Bit less saturation/power stage distortion (6550 & KT88 are known for being very lineal), compared to 5881 almost out of control at high gain levels, so not an issue. Improved headroom (seems like it had little reverb!). Improoved crunchier tone "a la Marshall", due to their middier tone.
                    Same highs response level/cut tone. Same thunder low end(only good point on Sovtek 5881WXT).
                    All this happens when amp begins to break up: VOL=8!!!!
                    As everybody says, the 6550/KT88 are harder than hell to distort. They are better suited for arenas than for bedroom.
                    I believe they ere different soundig, not better / worse than 5881 (would like to have a decent pair of 6L6GC/5881 to compare).
                    Will also like to hear your comments, Pete.
                    SERGIO

Comment

Working...
                    X