Mesa boogie Lonestar???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa boogie Lonestar???

<font color="blue"> </font> OK, who has tried the Mesa Boogie Lonestar amp??? I want to try one but havent had the chance yet.....I want to know what people think about them. I have read several reviews on them, but I trust people here more for a real world review. I hear they do awesome blues tones, great cleans, and nice classic rock tone. But Can you get it too scream if you need to?? I dont mean like a recto, but like a modded or pushed marshall, ya know higher gain type tones. can you get any type of rock/metal tones out of it??? by that I mean Judas priest, Dokken, van halen, metallica,def lep, etc... those type of higher gain sounds. I know its supposed to do the SRV stuff real well, btu I want to know HOW versatile this beast is.

My ears are open!!!! <font color="blue"> </font> [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Re: Mesa boogie Lonestar???

Definitely no screaming with the lonestar.

Shawn
    Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Stick a Soldano Supercharger in front of the Lonestar and it would scream.

Actually, the Lonestar gets pretty dirty. Not triple rectum fryer dirty but with humbuckers and diming the amp you can get plenty of crunch for hard rock.
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

No scream. You can get a good crunch, excellent mild overdriven sound and a sick clean though. On a side note, we finally got a Stiletto yesterday. I can't wait to bust it out and fire it up!

Comment

No scream.

Comment

I played a Lonestar and though it had plenty of gain for what you are looking for. You have to crank the channel 2 gain and kick in the Drive knob to get there. It has a little toggle switch on channel 2 to kick in the Drive knob and another toggle that has Thick and Thicker settings to give you even more gain and fatness when Drive is on. I actually backed off the gain and Drive a bit as it was too much for me and sounded fuzzed out. I though the Thick and Thicker setting were too much as well. The Drive knob added a lot of usable gain, but it is not footswitchable which makes no sense to me. Then again I am playing whimpy stuff now with my band and only need to kick in high gain for a good lead tone and I need a footswitch, not a little toggle switch on the amp. If you are going to play Metal then this may not be an issue.
            The tone was Boogie with a little more high end, but some typical Boogie flubbiness on the bottom end. I played the 1-12 combo and it was loud even on the 50 watt setting on both channles (toggle switches again). I think a head and a cab would sound better and give more definition.
            I ended up getting a Genz-Benz El Diablo 60-C combo which I liked better. It has high gain, but it is footswitchable.
            You should check a Lonestar out for yourself as eveyone's opinion will be different.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Actually, the Lonestar gets pretty dirty. Not triple rectum fryer dirty but with humbuckers and diming the amp you can get plenty of crunch for hard rock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hippie Tim: How would you compare the Lonestar to your Dr. Z?

Comment

dude i can't wait to hear the stilletto!!!!!!!!!
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                X