Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I tried out our new Stiletto today....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I tried out our new Stiletto today....

Ok so the other day at work, we finally got in a Mesa Stiletto head-the Deuce or whatever. I pulled it out of the box today and hooked it up to a Rectifier slanted 4x12 cabinet. It's a cool amp. The clean tone is a little better than the Rectifier's, but the dirty tone is totally different. In my mind, this is what a Marshall would sound like in a perfect world (note-I am by no means a Marshall fan). It sounds like a fuller sounding older Marshall with more gain, that can get a few different really cool sounds. I don't think that you'll be able to get the super-saturated sound that you can out of a Rectifier, so this is a totally different beast. I would recommend it to dudes who like Marshalls but are looking for something a little more. Very cool amp for what it is!

Re: So I tried out our new Stiletto today....

Cool, sounds like something for me to check out.

Comment

so it is totally different from dual/triple rectumfrier as far as the lead channel?

I like hot rodded Marshalls so I need to go try one out...
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

there was a lot of clips on HC. It sounds pretty nice to me

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Vi...?userid=152371
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

I spent about 45 minutes with one yesterday. I basically stayed in the gain channels so I can't comment on the clean. I'll agree with the above statement that you can't get a totally saturated gain out of it. I didn't like it at all. This is going to sound wierd but it sounds good up front but the overall tone has that typical cold dry characterless harsh Mesa thing going....no character at all. You can put it in a mode called, "squishy", I think....this sounds like an attempt to go fully saturated, compressed and saggy.....this turned the amp so muddy it was not even funny. If this was the amp Mesa started with at first...they wouldn't be in the business today. Hands down I think the single recs loaded with EL34's sound head and shoulders above the Stiletto and I sold my Single.

Personally I think Mesa should have not even bothered...no offense to anyone, it's just my opinion. They have this ground better covered with the Recs. ability to run EL34's

Comment

Tooling, what type of music are you into? I could see where this would't be ones cup of tea if they were into the detuned nu-metal or death type of metal. I'm more into the Rhoads, VH, & Lynch type of stuff...from the clips it sounds like it could come close to that. Its a $1599 head and that is used Bogner Shiva land [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Hey Shawn....Megadeth is my fav. but early VH is the perfect distortion in my head which is why I love my XTC above all else. A couple other examples of perfect metal distortion to me are Metal Church and Accept. I like organic rich full tones and like I had said it seems the Stiletto delivers kind of up front meaning on the surface but closer listening and searching for sweetness and complexity will leave you empty handed as with all the Mesa's I've had which are a Dual Rec....it was harsh so it's gone, Single Rec....huge improvement from the Dual and while I ditched it I did like it (until the XTC arrived), and two MK IV's that I always liked but hated also. I have a VHT Ultra Lead that to my ears and my MK IV expeience sounds like a MK IV only perfected and easily capable of about a bazillion tones. Just because I don't like the Stiletto don't mean it can't sound great...it just seems that my fingers bring out an upper midrange in amps and the Mesa's are already upper mid type amps. Mesa amps sound, but more importantly FEEL cold to me....I've grown to hate them.

Comment

ah...yeah, I suppose when you have an XTC the bar is raised pretty high [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] that is the amp (101b) I'm trying really, really hard not to buy right now heheh.
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Be careful....it will ruin you...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Hey Shawn....Megadeth is my fav. but early VH is the perfect distortion in my head which is why I love my XTC above all else. A couple other examples of perfect metal distortion to me are Metal Church and Accept. I like organic rich full tones and like I had said it seems the Stiletto delivers kind of up front meaning on the surface but closer listening and searching for sweetness and complexity will leave you empty handed as with all the Mesa's I've had which are a Dual Rec....it was harsh so it's gone, Single Rec....huge improvement from the Dual and while I ditched it I did like it (until the XTC arrived), and two MK IV's that I always liked but hated also. I have a VHT Ultra Lead that to my ears and my MK IV expeience sounds like a MK IV only perfected and easily capable of about a bazillion tones. Just because I don't like the Stiletto don't mean it can't sound great...it just seems that my fingers bring out an upper midrange in amps and the Mesa's are already upper mid type amps. Mesa amps sound, but more importantly FEEL cold to me....I've grown to hate them.

[/ QUOTE ]

couple other examples of perfect metal distortion to me are Metal Church and Accept.
                    [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X