time for new pickups...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• time for new pickups...

I currently have 2 EMG 81s in my RR3 and it was nice for a while..but recently, I've grown to really find the super biting tone they produce way too harsh for my tastes. Them paired with a 5150 just doesn't cut it when I'm playing with my brother..who's playing an RR-1 with the stock duncans in it.

I'm looking at picking up a full shred pickup in the near future and perhaps a SH-11 custom custom. I want a much thicker tone than I'm achieving right now.

idealy I want the Opeth Lead tone, and a nice articulate saturated rhythm sound. And I want to be able to milk out some half way decent cleans as well.

Re: time for new pickups...

Methinks DiMarzio Air Norton in the Neck, and a Steve's Special in the bridge.

Comment

DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge, Super 2 in the neck. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I currently have 2 EMG 81s in my RR3 and it was nice for a while..but recently, I've grown to really find the super biting tone they produce way too harsh for my tastes. Them paired with a 5150 just doesn't cut it when I'm playing with my brother..who's playing an RR-1 with the stock duncans in it.

I'm looking at picking up a full shred pickup in the near future and perhaps a SH-11 custom custom. I want a much thicker tone than I'm achieving right now.

idealy I want the Opeth Lead tone, and a nice articulate saturated rhythm sound. And I want to be able to milk out some half way decent cleans as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bro the Custom Custom is one of my favorites. That, and a 59 in the neck is the **** to me.

Comment

'59 in the neck rules.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Bro the Custom Custom is one of my favorites. That, and a 59 in the neck is the **** to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it capable of doing death/black metal stuff? the EMG's do it..it's just too harsh, the SH-11 description claims to be buttery smooth..that sounds nice. It also says it's ideal for a rich 70's tone..which isn't bad either but does that cut into it's ability to kick serious ass when I need it to?

Comment

If you're looking to stay with the EMG realm, the EMG-85 is FAT without any of the high "shrill" biting tone of the EMG-81s you're describing. Opeth sounds fat even tuned to standard, and my KE3 (similar to your RR3) sounded that way with the EMG-85 bridge and EMG-89 neck. Then I tuned my KE3 down to D and it became a monster. I sold it, and the new owner is using it to play Death.

Comment

Don't forget APCs.
                I have heard people saying they are great... but have never heard the sound yet.
                [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Soon, Toru... soon. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Maybe as a Christmas present to myself. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    If you're looking to stay with the EMG realm, the EMG-85 is FAT without any of the high "shrill" biting tone of the EMG-81s you're describing. Opeth sounds fat even tuned to standard, and my KE3 (similar to your RR3) sounded that way with the EMG-85 bridge and EMG-89 neck. Then I tuned my KE3 down to D and it became a monster. I sold it, and the new owner is using it to play Death.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. One of my good friends started working at emg when it was just a small shop with about 10 employees. He uses to give me 81-85 setups and I always put the 81 in the bridge. I ended up going away from actives for 10+ years for that reason. Last year I went with 85 in the bridge-nice dark pickup that still cuts though. But I would never give up passives to go all active. Maybe if I had some massive gear setup and I wanted a real flat(for lack of a better word) sound to build upon and color. But I play direct without anything but a wah.

As you know emgs clean up great just by rolling of the vol.

Comment

another vote for APC
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Methinks DiMarzio Air Norton in the Neck, and a Steve's Special in the bridge.

[/ QUOTE ]

me thinks the Air Norton is good one in the neck, but me thinks as well to stay away from the Steve's Special. that one only works when you are the only guitarplayer in the band, at least to my experiences, it does NOT cut through well enough, due to te lack of mids, the mentioned SDs are a better choise or like I choose the Tonezone or the Norton might suit you as well

Harrald

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why I ever even bought an 81 after putting the 85 in the bridge. Should have done that from the beginning.

You really should try it dude.
                          Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

http://www.myspace.com/joblo1978

Comment

It's because Zakk, Metallica, and Slayer say so. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

haha pickups are a real headache for me too!! I'm thinking of putting a EMG 81 into my rr1 bridge position too..but it seems too....how about duncan invader or the livewire metal pickup for bridge? seems good for metal and maybe what you want

Comment

Working...
                              X