Why do so many diss Peavey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do so many diss Peavey?

I went to GC, just fartin' around in there, and ask the guy if he knows where the nearest Peavy dealer is. He sais he doesn't know, asks me what I'm lookin' for but then in so many words sais Peavey sucks, their quality control has gone down the tubes and new Peavey isn't as good as earlier Peavey. This MAY be true, I don't know but then he asks if I've ever played Marshall or Boogie? I tell him I have but am pretty much a die-hard Peavey guy, so he takes me over to them, I try a couple Boogies including the Stiletto. I don't know but I just really can't find my tone in a Boogie, a Marshall is a bit better for me but I dont' see why so many think bad about Peavey. Peavey is not the Wal-Mart of guitar amps but many have gotten awesome tone out of them.
    Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

http://www.myspace.com/joblo1978

Re: Why do so many diss Peavey?

<font color="yellow">Some Peavey stuff is good, some is not-so-good....it just depends.

I personally like the old Peavey MACE series amps, they were great, and I had a Peavey VTM-60 in high school that sounded great.....

The old 5150's are great amps also. I wasn't crazy about the Renown, but it would move your hair for sheer volume, but Pedal Steel and acoustic guys swear by the Nashville 400 even today....

I don't think Peavey is necessarilly "bad", I just think you need to listen to them and make your decision. What works for you and sounds good to your ear probably wont to mine, and vice versa. There is no "right and wrong" with gear, just personal preference.</font>

Comment

The sales person you were talking to shouldn't be in sales. Peavey has always been good and continues today. Every amp company has had their dogs, including Peavey. The 5150, JSX, Triple X, XXL, Classic series, the Mace and their power amps have been bullet proof tools of the trade for years.

Comment

Most GC salsmen will diss whatever gear they don't carry.
        But, ya gotta admit, Peavey made it's name being the Walmart of gear. Since the introduction of the 5150 and on, they've been trying to lose that tag, but it's gonna take a long time.

Comment

I like dissing stuff that we DO carry, like BC Rich and Marshall. Anyway I've never been the biggest Peavey fan, but a lot of the bands I saw on Saturday night were using 5150s and one dude had a XXX that just sounded awesome, so I really wanna go somewhere and spend more time trying it out.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I like dissing stuff that we DO carry, like BC Rich and Marshall. Anyway I've never been the biggest Peavey fan, but a lot of the bands I saw on Saturday night were using 5150s and one dude had a XXX that just sounded awesome, so I really wanna go somewhere and spend more time trying it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck, THE Peavey dealer around here, they sell all of their recording and speaker **** no longer carries guitar amplifies. They said "that stuff is too hard to get ahold of."

You might have to drive aways to find one, I would have to go to Richmond again to fart around on some Peavey gear to see if I liked it. About 8 months ago I just ordered a 5150 combo from MF and got lucky and liked it. Now I want a half-stack but can't find anyone that carries them.
            Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

Comment

Peavey's always been hit-or-miss, as far as hard rock/metal tones, at least until the intro of the 5150. Even then, it seems to be a love/hate amp.

I had a Butcher that I loved - but only with a distortion pedal in front of it. The VTM series that repleaced that were pretty cool, but not every versitile. I've owned several pieces of Peavey gear, and liked some of it, and hated others. The only amp in their current line I've heard that I like is the 5150. (Note: I haven't heard the JSX yet.) I really disliked everything about the XXX but the clean channel, but some people are successful at getting good tones out of them.
              Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

My first amp was a Rage 108. It rocked!

Comment

joblo, where in VA are you located?
                  Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I think a lot of it has to do with Peavey making amps in lower price ranges. To do this they had to cut corners on components. I think they are trying to shed that with the newer stuff, satch amp XXX and 5150's all of which I have heard good things about.

We used to call them the poor mans Marshall in day. I had a 2x12 solid state Peavey Renown once and I liked, hated the feedback but it was loud amp if I remember correctly.

The guy was just trying to feed you an earfull and to sell you an amp that they do carry.
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

My main amp for 18 yrs was an old VTX series Heritage's..... Never had any issues with it and it still cranks as loud and clear today as it did brand new.... Original Tubes are still in it, too.

Comment

I had a Bandit 112 and got great tones out of it. A friend of mine had one, and it sucked. It's just hit or miss.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Peavey made it's name being the Walmart of gear. Since the introduction of the 5150 and on, they've been trying to lose that tag, but it's gonna take a long time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know of at least 5 people that don't like Peavey just because it was considered 'low end' at one time. I think this point of view is just silly. A lot of people's opinions are motivated by the price tag of equipment and anything cheaper is bad to them. If something sounds good and it is less expensive, you should be really happy because you're getting good tone for less cash!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            joblo, where in VA are you located?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hampton Roads, VA beach area.

Comment

Some Peavey stuf are killer and you can't beat the price.
                              I have owned many 5150s,a Classic 30 combo and they were all great!
                              I am thinking fo getting a Triple X now.
                              [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X