Why do so many diss Peavey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do so many diss Peavey?

30 years ago Peavey gear was bulletproof, but didn't sound that great. The 5150 may have been their first "name-endorsed" ap to change that, but the Butchers and VTMs sound like modded JCM800s, and the Triumphs, forerunners of the Ultra and then the XXX, came out in the late 80s too. I have a Triumph P.A.G. that I just love, as well as a Rockmaster preamp. Both are basically the same preamp. Some folks probably figure if it's made by hicks in Mississippi it can't be that good. Actually a lot of hicks in Mississippi think that! I did buy an extra footswitch for my Triumph on eBay and it turned out to be wired wrong. I sent it in to be rewired and there was no charge!
    Pretty nice to do that free for a 15-year old amp that I admitted I bought used!
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I never slammed peavey ...in fact , i always praised the stuff.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        joblo, where in VA are you located?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hampton Roads, VA beach area.

[/ QUOTE ]
        Oh. I'm in Northern VA and there's a good shop here that carries Peavey. I was just in there on Sat. to pick up my Wolfie that was in for a setup and noticed they had a 5150, JSX, and XXL. But Richmond would be closer for you if there's a shop there.
        Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

As a professional guitar tech, I can tell you for a fact that a good many people at GC have viewpoints that I disagree with. Many(not all) of them just want to sell you what they want to sell you, not what you really want. If I had a dollar for every time someone at GC tried to sell me a fukin' POD or an Ibanez, I'd own my own guitar store chain. Next time you go in there, tell the dude that you know what you want, and you can make your own decisions. Tell him to just show you the fuking gear YOU want to see, not what he wants to show you. If they give you a hard time, check out some online dealers. There are a lot of smaller online dealers that hang around this forum that will be more than happy to work with you to help you find what YOU want, not what THEY want to sell you.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Oh. I'm in Northern VA and there's a good shop here that carries Peavey. I was just in there on Sat. to pick up my Wolfie that was in for a setup and noticed they had a 5150, JSX, and XXL. But Richmond would be closer for you if there's a shop there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. Which shop was that? I'm interested in at least hearing the JSX...
            Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

don't ask them to show you the gear. tell them to go away and you'll find them when your ready to buy something.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

my first amp was a Peavey solid state studio pro 110, I still have it and it has never failed me to this day! My dad bought it for my 10th birthday which is like a good 13 years ago...been used and abused ever since [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] killer amp.
                It actually has great gain sound, only hampered by the open cabinet construction...back in the day a buddy of mine had a bandit 112 (with the closed-back sheffield speaker) and it was SO fukkin awesome!! ah the good old days [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I also really like the 5150 combo, not overly impressed by the head though...haven't tried the XXX or JSX yet!

I think a lot of the bad mojo stems from Peavey not having a long record of succesful tube amps, and being more synonymous with solid state while Marshall tube heads have gotten all the hype through the years...hence Peavey has become sort of like a "scapegoat"...

- Rune.

Comment

I have a Peavey Ultra 1x12 60 watt combo and I love it, all 3 channels are great and the Reverb is very good and well made. I also like the Triple XXX`s Ultra and Crunch channels. Jack.

Comment

I had a peavey classic 50 a few years ago. Built like a tank. It was dropped (more than once) or fell over in the van and even fell down my basement steps once when the nut came off the handle. Never had a any trouble with it. Well, except the handle comming off. LOL!

Comment

Peavey amps can take some serious abuse! There's amps that are built with better quality parts and better build quality, but IMO some of that is overkill. The Peavey's do everything you need them to do without breaking the bank. If it's not your tone, that's fine. I judge with my ears and by the reliability. Peavey has both for me.
                      Jerry

Here's a 5150 that's been to hell and back and it still kicks ass! Knobs? Who needs fuckin knobs! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                      FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Peaveys are great amps...end of story IMO. I've never had a problem with a Peavey product I've owned so far. I had a Classic 50/50 power amp that was dropped off a truck and sustained a huge dent on the corner but still worked perfectly fine. My XXX has held up at home AND at gigs(with the exception of a bad footswitch). And I recently bought a guitar that is top notch from them.

Not to mention their gear sounds good. Yeah, some of the tones are *quite* as refined as a $3000 Uberschall or $2500 SLO but really....they're a third of the price!!!

I see more guys gigging with Peaveys than ANY of those boutique brands. Marshall comes in first of course probably followed by Mesa but Peavey is right up there as the working mans gear.

Peavey is always welcome in my home.

Comment

I started using Peavey amps when I was 14.I bought a Mace with money I had saved working at my uncles gas station. I just had it serviced(Bias checked,Tubes replaced). I am 41 now.Not only am I old,so is my amp.This unit has never given me any trouble and has been hauled everywhere.I also own a Peavey Duel (Tube) and a new XXL combo. They may not be boutique amp ,but as far as reliability,they can't be beat. My two cents.... Reverend Timmy....
                          Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

I'm one of those who haven't had much luck with Peavey , but I've only played one. I own a Studio Pro 112 and use it just for practice. Would never think of taking it out to a show. It has a mind of it's own and sometimes cuts out for no logical reason. Not often, but at the wrong time. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                            Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

You guys have proved my point. About 70% of the responses are from members referring to a cheap/first/practice peice of gear, not your frontline equipment.
                              Peavey is still thought of a old or starter gear in general.

Comment

Agree, thats why I made it a point to single out this specific amp. I can't judge the whole lot. I also have a Marshall valvestate which I'd put in the same catergory. Sometimes first impressions tend to lead me off in aanother direction though. But, you never know, one day you plug into that sound you've been looking for, and could very well be a Peavey. [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
                                Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Working...
                                X