Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do so many diss Peavey?

[ QUOTE ]
    You guys have proved my point. About 70% of the responses are from members referring to a cheap/first/practice peice of gear, not your frontline equipment.
    Peavey is still thought of a old or starter gear in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've heard that one before, my first amp was a Peavey Blazer 158. It no longer works, I think I blew it up. I've been playing about 7 years though and still like Peavey ****, even after playing Marshalls and other gear. I've never had a chance to play the boutique stuff though. I don't think that EVH, Satriani, Alexi Laiho and all the other big names that use Peavey consider it "beginners" gear.

I think Peavey is on its way to breaking that stereotype though.
    Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

http://www.myspace.com/joblo1978

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      You guys have proved my point. About 70% of the responses are from members referring to a cheap/first/practice peice of gear, not your frontline equipment.Peavey is still thought of a old or starter gear in general.

[/ QUOTE ]And in general Marshall is considered the top amp, and Fender and Gibson the top guitars - in general. Does that mean they are?
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I went to GC, just fartin' around in there, and ask the guy if he knows where the nearest Peavy dealer is. He sais he doesn't know, asks me what I'm lookin' for but then in so many words sais Peavey sucks, their quality control has gone down the tubes and new Peavey isn't as good as earlier Peavey. This MAY be true, I don't know but then he asks if I've ever played Marshall or Boogie? I tell him I have but am pretty much a die-hard Peavey guy, so he takes me over to them, I try a couple Boogies including the Stiletto. I don't know but I just really can't find my tone in a Boogie, a Marshall is a bit better for me but I dont' see why so many think bad about Peavey. Peavey is not the Wal-Mart of guitar amps but many have gotten awesome tone out of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

For a long time I thought I was the only one who didn't like mesas! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

And Marshalls, IMO, have taken a qualty tumble lately. The JCM 2000 = thin and twangy.

Peaveys make great gear at great prices, always have. I have a Classic 30 myself, and It has fired up perfectly every day for 2 years. Im currently looking for a used 5150 in the area (Pedal distortion sounds pretty damn good on the Classic 30, but its no match for a real tube overdrive, especially one as ferocious as the 5150).

My first electric guitar was a washburn, but I got rid of it after 4 months after it developed fret problems, so I treaded it for a 1995 Peavey Predator (made back when Peavey was still made entirely in the USA). It was a straight up trade, it had a tag on it for $150. It my favorite guitar. I learned to play on it, and its the only guitar that I can call home. Its just like a Strat, but with slighly larger body contours (cant see any difference)I put some Schaller locking tuners on it, and got a DiMarzio Air Norton in the Neck, and a Fred in the bridge, and it sounds amazing. Frets- installed perfectly.

Those people at GC rarely know anything about anything. Except for the guys in the Acoustic room, they usually know what its all about [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey, I'm not arguing MY perception, rather the way Peavey's are seen by the general public.
          My own take on Peavy gear is irrelevent here.

Comment

Have you guys heard about the new Peavey that comes out in 2005? I belive it is called " The Brahmma " and is endorsed by George Lynch. I'm sure it will be a higher end tube amp,but still competitive in the market.....
            Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Have you guys heard about the new Peavey that comes out in 2005? I belive it is called " The Brahmma " and is endorsed by George Lynch. I'm sure it will be a higher end tube amp,but still competitive in the market.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard about that, but I thought it was just rumor. I think that will be pretty cool. Its probably going to be a bizarre cross between a Soldano and a Marshall (pray for a clean channel).

Anyone know what brand EVH is going to? (IF anything?) I heard Crate mentioned, but. . .CRATE? Hmmm. . .I'll believe it when I see it.

He may not need an endorsement, he probably has piles of old marshalls, soldanos, and 5150's at his house, doubt he needs any more [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I have some Marshalls and Fenders, have had Boogies but never really got into them. I recently acquired a Classic 50 head, I really like this amp. It sounds great with my classic rock/blues band. Recently I tried out a Triple XXX and loved it - for that sound of more modern rock/metal, its great. The Triple XXX will probably be my next purchase - it will be perfect for my other band which is more modern, heavier stuff.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Hey, I'm not arguing MY perception, rather the way Peavey's are seen by the general public.My own take on Peavy gear is irrelevent here.

[/ QUOTE ]I know, you've said you like your Bandit numerous times; but your take is NOT really irrelevant; here's why.The negative vibe toward Peavey gear is prevalent mainly among older players who remember the days when their gearwas bulletproof but sunded bad. If you think about it, most guys 30 and under have perceived the 5150 to have always been there, thus to them a quality eavey guitar amp has basically "always" existed. People who keep uphave known peavey's been making decent and increasingly better amps since about the time of the Butcher. Sure they are not boutique amps but they've made better stuff than Marshall, for example, for about 20 years now. Of course not all their lines have been good, they were throwing sh1t out to see what would stick.This is why this topic's here as a question. Peavey's been making good gear for quite awhile now, but to a lot of players in the 40-60 age group (OUCH!) they still think of the old Peavey Standard amps when they think Peavey amps, and think T-60 when they hear Peavey guitar, not a Vandy or Wolfgang. The perception is simply 25-30 years behind the times. Add to that that the older players get the more apt they are to gravitate to bnoutique amps, and you have a sense of contempt for the brand that's not really a correct perception anymore.So basically, Chuck, it's just the old fukks you hang out with who still diss Peavey, for the most part! Wheras some old fukks like me have checked 'em out as time went by and noticed they made some good sh1t along the way. I reckon when the Peters/Soldano/Matchless support group gets together they about lynch you if you said Peavey made even a decent amp, so basically, you're the victim of peer pressure! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Damn, I've been pidgeon-holed! And all that to a person who has recommended the Peavey Bandit over other more expensive amps numerous times.

My singer in A-13 has replaced his Mesa Recto with a Peavey XXL...on my recommendation!

Actually, you bring up a very good point. My first mental image of Peavey is Lynyrd Skynyrds backline, circe '77. Not a pretty mental aural image...

However, lets jump in the time machine and go back twenty years...the year would be 1984...show me what Peavey amp can go head to head with an '84 JCM800 Marshall. Give me that Peavey guitar that I will love over that Les Paul or Smith Strat.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]
                      I went to GC, just fartin' around in there, and ask the guy if he knows where the nearest Peavy dealer is. He sais he doesn't know, asks me what I'm lookin' for but then in so many words sais Peavey sucks, their quality control has gone down the tubes and new Peavey isn't as good as earlier Peavey. This MAY be true, I don't know but then he asks if I've ever played Marshall or Boogie? I tell him I have but am pretty much a die-hard Peavey guy, so he takes me over to them, I try a couple Boogies including the Stiletto. I don't know but I just really can't find my tone in a Boogie, a Marshall is a bit better for me but I dont' see why so many think bad about Peavey. Peavey is not the Wal-Mart of guitar amps but many have gotten awesome tone out of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

For a long time I thought I was the only one who didn't like mesas! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

And Marshalls, IMO, have taken a qualty tumble lately. The JCM 2000 = thin and twangy.

Peaveys make great gear at great prices, always have. I have a Classic 30 myself, and It has fired up perfectly every day for 2 years. Im currently looking for a used 5150 in the area (Pedal distortion sounds pretty damn good on the Classic 30, but its no match for a real tube overdrive, especially one as ferocious as the 5150).

My first electric guitar was a washburn, but I got rid of it after 4 months after it developed fret problems, so I treaded it for a 1995 Peavey Predator (made back when Peavey was still made entirely in the USA). It was a straight up trade, it had a tag on it for $150. It my favorite guitar. I learned to play on it, and its the only guitar that I can call home. Its just like a Strat, but with slighly larger body contours (cant see any difference)I put some Schaller locking tuners on it, and got a DiMarzio Air Norton in the Neck, and a Fred in the bridge, and it sounds amazing. Frets- installed perfectly.

Those people at GC rarely know anything about anything. Except for the guys in the Acoustic room, they usually know what its all about [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The first guitar I picked up was my dads stock Peavey Predator. He plays flamenco style classical but decided to get an electric for his blues playing. He found a what used to be white, (now creme from being in the store window so long) Peavey Predator and it came with that Blazer 158, a a bag and cord real cheap. It was the first elec. guitar I ever played and learned alot on it before I got my first Jackson. All you would need is to change out that crappy hardware and you wouldn't know it wasn't a strat. I've played strats since and cannot tell a difference in the feel.

One of the other guys at that GC has a Marshall JCM 900, he loves the sound of Peavey but won't play one because he associates them with his first amp. He sucked when he started and Peavey is forever tainted in his mind with a crappy sound. He told me this and that is why he won't buy one. When I first played the 5150 in his store, he had a used one in there, as I was banging out some Carcass riffs, (Heartwork) he said it sounded awesome, but it was a Peavey.

When I was at Sam Ash music, trying out a 5150 II there, the salesman kept trying to get me to try the JCM 2000, I did and he grinned at me and said, "you see, that sounds just like the radio." I said, "yeah, it's o.k., but the 5150 still blows it away." He couldn't understand, even though he had a 5150 II himself and said he would rather have the JCM 2000.

Oh well.
                      Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Damn, I've been pidgeon-holed! And all that to a person who has recommended the Peavey Bandit over other more expensive amps numerous times.My singer in A-13 has replaced his Mesa Recto with a Peavey XXL...on my recommendation!Actually, you bring up a very good point. My first mental image of Peavey is Lynyrd Skynyrds backline, circe '77. Not a pretty mental aural image...However, lets jump in the time machine and go back twenty years...the year would be 1984...show me what Peavey amp can go head to head with an '84 JCM800 Marshall. Give me that Peavey guitar that I will love over that Les Paul or Smith Strat. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]I don't know if the Butcher was out in '84 but it's very similar to the JCM800, and the VTMs that followed are hotter than JCM800s gain-wise. Guitar-wise it was still a few more years before they built the Destiny which was more like a Soloist than a Les Paul, but still a great guitar. The Odyssey was a lot like a Les Paul, and since preferences are personal, I can't say you would choose one over a Les Paul. I think many would, though. My buddy Clyde had a Roadmaster head that kicked serious ass in the mid-late 70s; ran on 6 6L6 power tubes and would drown out Marshall stacks with ease, and without blowing transformers either. It actually sounded pretty good too, but since it was made in our own state we couldn't quite believe it could be better than a Marshall, so he sold it for a Marshall and started learning about the repair shop!
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The first guitar I picked up was my dads stock Peavey Predator. He plays flamenco style classical but decided to get an electric for his blues playing. He found a what used to be white, (now creme from being in the store window so long) Peavey Predator and it came with that Blazer 158, a a bag and cord real cheap. It was the first elec. guitar I ever played and learned alot on it before I got my first Jackson. All you would need is to change out that crappy hardware and you wouldn't know it wasn't a strat. I've played strats since and cannot tell a difference in the feel.

One of the other guys at that GC has a Marshall JCM 900, he loves the sound of Peavey but won't play one because he associates them with his first amp. He sucked when he started and Peavey is forever tainted in his mind with a crappy sound. He told me this and that is why he won't buy one. When I first played the 5150 in his store, he had a used one in there, as I was banging out some Carcass riffs, (Heartwork) he said it sounded awesome, but it was a Peavey.

When I was at Sam Ash music, trying out a 5150 II there, the salesman kept trying to get me to try the JCM 2000, I did and he grinned at me and said, "you see, that sounds just like the radio." I said, "yeah, it's o.k., but the 5150 still blows it away." He couldn't understand, even though he had a 5150 II himself and said he would rather have the JCM 2000.

Oh well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I really love my predator. All it needs now is a graphite string tee, and a new bridge, and it will be great. The bridge it has now is junk.

And those guys at GC/SA have some real issues [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Thats a pathetic excuse for not liking peavey products.

Comment

Wasn't EVH's legendary frankenstrat mostly Peavey?

Comment

That was a joke, right? Please tell me you're kidding.

Comment

I think he's just trying to live up to his avatar, Chuck!
                                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X