Peters Review...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peters Review...

Well, this is early days as the thing's been here for an hour now, but I've been playing it and...I dunno.
    It's very cool and all, but I'm not sure if I'm just so used to my old Boogie, or the old Boogie is really 'all that', cause while I haven't made a final decision yet, right now I'm not totally digging it.
    First up, the controls: On the front panel, left to right are the power and standby switches, then a three way "Bias" switch. The three positions are marked L,M, and H, which I assume to mean low, or cold bias, medium, and high or hot bias. My ear tells me this is the case, and the three positions make for powerful changes.
    Next we have a three position Bass Boost. Position I cuts a lot of bass, II and III are similiar with just a slight low bump in the III position.
    Bass, Mid, and treble follow, each with a mini switch which seems to slightly change the range in which the controls operate. The sweep of the knobs is wide and there is a LOT of tweakability available here. And of course, they are interactive as heck...
    Master Volume is next, and I figured that one right out...
    Gain Level...I'm on this as well. Nice range...good sweep and taper.
    Last on the far right is the Voicing. This has four positions. I'm gonna cut-and-paste from the Peters site here, cause the description is perfect (edited for hyperbole, however...):

Voicing 1 - The voicing with the lowest gain and distortion.

Voicing 2 - Take Voicing 1 and add some more gain, snarl, and growl. This is a very authentic classic rock (late 70's to 80's) type of gain voicing...

Voicing 3 - The "mid to high gain" voicing. Very much like Voicing 2 but with more gain and distortion, a bit more full and rich sounding.

Voicing 4 - Another preamp gain stage is engaged, and Voicing 4 starts where Voicing 3 leaves off.

The Back panel controls include a "Shallow/Deep" switch, kind of a "bold/loose" type of thing, and a four position Output Drive, which controls the last preamp stage and how hard it hits the power amp.
    From the Peters site again : Output Drive - This switch controls the level of gain at the last gain stage of the preamp. Using higher settings makes for a punchier sound which is very useful at lower volumes or medium gain settings. Clean sounds become powerful and it becomes easy to get that "on the verge of breakup" sound. Classic rock sounds become deep and punchy. Using lower settings helps even out the dynamics.

So, how's it play? Well...like I said at the start, I'm kinda on the fence. It has enough gain, that's for sure, but it feels as if the gain is happening deep in the amp, whereas I'm used to a Mesa front end where the gain happens right at the input jack. Voicing wise, it's voiced with an upper mid emphasis and has ample top end. If you look at the pics, you can see where the Treble control is set...
    It came with a JJ EL34 and JJ Chinese 12AX7s. I tried EH 12AX7s and my trusty JAN %&%! in V1, but it really didn't respond well, so I put the JJ's back in.
    I'm also trying a Groove Tubes KT66 right now, and so far I like it better than the EL34, but...it's early days.
    The mids are great, cutting without being harsh, and the bass is...OK. The very bottom is fine but I'm longing for more lower mids, more "girth".

Now, the big question for me is, how's it compare? Well, I plugged the Mesa back into the Avatar 2x12 and realized how dark I had it set up. After brightening the amp up and playing it, It seems as though the Mesa lacks presence, in the literal sense. It's as if the Mesa is in another room, while the Peters is Right In Your Face. Gain wise the Mesa seems more gainy, but still smooth, whereas the Peters seems like I have to dig in harder, yet it's seriously gained out. The Mesa carries better when I'm on the front humbucker and flying, doing my best shredder impersonation, while on the Peters it seems more difficult.
    So, is the amp at fault? Is the Mesa sloppy and covering my mistakes and the Peters is being dead honest? Or is the Peters stiff and unyeilding? Some of this is playing style. I use a lot of muting and can get away with a ton of gain and not sound all messy, whereas someone like Pete, who plays clean and open, could really make this amp sing, I'm thinking.
    I haven't explored the clean and low gain settings much yet, so can't really comment on that area of the amp yet.

My conclusions have yet to be drawn, but if you were to hold a gun to my head and make me choose right this instant, I would keep my Mesa.

Re: Peters Review...

mmmmmm.....
    Interesting.
    I hope you could post some MP3s of your amp.
    It sounds like you were happy with what you used to have such as SLO.
    I can imagine you playing thru 100watt amp with high gain amp....

Comment

This amp reminds me of a little SLO really, in the ample high end and the way it dosen't coddle you or cover your mistakes. I rather like that about it.

Comment

Give a couple days, an hour isn't long enough unless it sounds like crap right away [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. To me it can take a while, its is hard getting used to new tone or amps. Its like new shoes, you like the feel of the old ones better and after a while you like the new ones [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'd like to hear both this one and the .22.
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

I wish I had some way to post MP3's, but I have no recording ability right now.
          Ya'll just hafta come over, I guess! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Cool. Looking forward to the rest of it in days/weeks to come. You forgot to let us in on the color of the tolex... LOL.

Keep both! They sound like they are different but in a good way.

Comment

Peters Chassis Pics...

Comment

Regarding low wattage tube amps, for me... I know instantly if I like it or not. I instantly liked the Soldano Astroverb 16 but not as much as my Mesa Studio .22. Actually, there isn't an amp I've played that tops the Studio .22

Comment

Nice build. Lock nuts... Very clean wiring. Looks very nice Chuck.

Comment

Update for Chris: The covering is a dark blue...very subtle color, and hard to photograph.
                    Also, I'm finding the sweet spots and this thing is sounding pretty good!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Regarding low wattage tube amps, for me... I know instantly if I like it or not. I instantly liked the Soldano Astroverb 16 but not as much as my Mesa Studio .22. Actually, there isn't an amp I've played that tops the Studio .22

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the Studio .22 still in production? I'm also wondering...would it be enough for gigs at small clubs (fewer than 200 people)? I'm guessing yes...

Comment

No, the .22 is long out of production.
                        Gigs...that would depend on what music you are playing.

Comment

I used to gig sometimes with a .22 and two cabs... then again, I've also gigged with a budda Superdrive 18 and a Univalve running a KT88 power tube. I know, I'm nuts [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Our music is kind of like the Refreshments getting into a car accident with the Scorpions. Our covers range from Kiss to the Bloodhound Gang. Some places where we play can mike us, too. What I've been thnking about is running a lower-wattage high-gain tube amp through my 212 cabinet.

Comment

Working...
                            X