Duncan Custom Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duncan Custom Custom

The J, as stated, is the first letter of a Name. The LAST name of the winder, to be precise. J is almost always MS,Marciela Juarez, now Head Honcho (after Seymour) of the Duncan Custom Shop [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

After 2k2 the identifying markings changed to a more "numeric" scheme, so those pickups need to be identified by another scheme..

As Far as the CC goes: I have one in my Gibson V and it sounds absolutely great, The SH-5 I originally dropped in sounded ok, but too thin, the CC solved that problem perfectly without losing too much thump or sizzle.

What you can also do: Swap magnets. The only difference between the Custom, Custom-5 and Custom Custom is the magnet, Ceramic, AlNiCo-5 and AlNiCo-2, respectively

The CC actually wasn´t designed "for an EVH Tone", but as a complement to the DC (the C-5 came later, after a few guys on the Forum more or less "invented it"). It IS what many people recommend to get an EVH tone, though. ANd that´s not too far from the truth, because if you NOT playing through a Plexi and don´t want to nail it exactly, it really CAN get you damn close. But the EVH wind from the custom shop has been around AND available for over 25 years (it´s been officially known and marketed as the ´78 for a few years, now), and was always the best way to go if you really want to NAIL the Early VH tone.

It all depends on what tone you´re looking for, Greg. If you´re looking for a more scooped tone in an already Mid-heavy axe, through a high-gain amplifier, then I agree it´s probably not what you want, ditto if you´re used to EMGs and have your rig dailed in to suit. But if, like me, you don´t really like the typical "Scooped mids, 100000 Mosquitos Farting" tones of most metal guitarists, it might be right up your alley [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
    X