Soldano HR50+XL clip :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Soldano HR50+XL clip

I'm not an SLO owner. Pete is going to choose between the two amps after he does a side by side so that was my opinion of what he will like better.
    We must!
    We must!
    We must increase the bust!
    The bigger the better!
    The tighter the sweater!
    The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Actually Shawn, thanks to Soldano's very misleading website ad copy, most people think they are one and the same, and the lead channel of the HRs are "the same as the SLO", when in fact it just ain't true.
      I know Pete knows there is a difference but most people don't. That's why you see the comparison debunked so often here. And as good as Pete makes the HR sound, I can't wait to hear what he can do with an SLO.

Comment

yeah Chuck I know..My joke is that even the paper clips in Soldano's offices are based of the lead channel of the mighty SLO [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm sure when Pete hears them side by side he'll hear the difference and it should be a pretty nice difference too. The SLO is the king of Soldano product line and nothing they make can stand up against it, close but totally different
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

I thought the HR50 and the SLO's major difference was wattage only. I just learned something. BTW.., I am an amp modeler fan and IMHO the Soldano SLO is probably the most difficult tone for a modeler to copy. Even the Vetta II doesn't really have that good of an SLO.

Comment

The circut is the same, apparently, but the components are what makes the huge difference, in both price and sound quality.
            I owned (in order) the HR50, HR50+, HR100+, SLO.
            The SLO is in a whole 'nother league.

"even the paper clips in Soldano's offices are based of the lead channel of the mighty SLO..."

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

that is my understanding, same design but different components.

Does the SLO have a 1/2 power switch? As much as I'd like to have one I don't need (or want)a 100 watt head unless it has a 1/2 power switch. Too bad they didnt have a 50W SLO.
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

No it dosen't. They can put one in, but I just pulled two power tubes and halved the impedence.

Comment

To bad they didn't have an SLO50. The 100 is way to much for my needs. Definitely my favorite tone though. The SP77 with the Mesa 20/20 that I have get a pretty decent Soldano tone at bedroom levels. I'll have to live with that.
                  We must!
                  We must!
                  We must increase the bust!
                  The bigger the better!
                  The tighter the sweater!
                  The boys are counting on us!

Comment

I hear what you guys are saying. A recent interview I found on the web with Mike Soldano stated in his own words that the HR50+ was a fifty watt SLO circuit.

One thing I briefly considered was trying to beg borrow or steal a DeYoung output transformer and splice it into my HR50...

Looking at the guts of the HR50, it seems like they used good components. No carbon comp resistors (which IMHO do NOT belong in a high gain amp - too damned noisy and the performance sucks) pots are board mounted, but seem to be high quality units.

I know I'm going to like the SLO better - but if it's a 5% better thing, then I'll keep the HR50+. It's funny, because the 'cheaper' transformers in the HR series are Mercury Magnetics, and they are in a LOT of boutique amps. Makes me wonder what's up with those DeYoungs... I may go digging around the chassis pics of the SLO that I've seen, and just look at the components (not the values, but the brand/manufacture of parts) and see what differences are there too.

Oh btw - I'm taking my Vetta and HR50 to check out against an SLO tomorrow. I did a clip last night of the Vetta direct on the hot for teacher track - and you can tell they modelled a Soldano, but there's just some complex mids that are missing. It's closer than you'd think though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      The circut is the same, apparently, but the components are what makes the huge difference...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I was pretty sure that's what I said...

Comment

Cool! The tone of the second clip is much better than the first.

Comment

If you need pics of the inside of the SLO I could snap a few of mine (It is a rack hed though) for you Pete. LMK

Comment

Those clips were amazing. The SLO is going to smoke it though! Very nice playing Pete.. I am with Chuckles on this one.

Again. Great stuff Pete.

Comment

hey pete. i hear everyone saying that clip 2 sound better, but what i'd like to here is the tongsol 5881's again with the same sittings you used in clip 2. i'm thinking "clip 3" would be the best with better tubes and the good hot settings.
                              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                I hear what you guys are saying. A recent interview I found on the web with Mike Soldano stated in his own words that the HR50+ was a fifty watt SLO circuit.

One thing I briefly considered was trying to beg borrow or steal a DeYoung output transformer and splice it into my HR50...

Looking at the guts of the HR50, it seems like they used good components. No carbon comp resistors (which IMHO do NOT belong in a high gain amp - too damned noisy and the performance sucks) pots are board mounted, but seem to be high quality units.

I know I'm going to like the SLO better - but if it's a 5% better thing, then I'll keep the HR50+. It's funny, because the 'cheaper' transformers in the HR series are Mercury Magnetics, and they are in a LOT of boutique amps. Makes me wonder what's up with those DeYoungs... I may go digging around the chassis pics of the SLO that I've seen, and just look at the components (not the values, but the brand/manufacture of parts) and see what differences are there too.

Oh btw - I'm taking my Vetta and HR50 to check out against an SLO tomorrow. I did a clip last night of the Vetta direct on the hot for teacher track - and you can tell they modelled a Soldano, but there's just some complex mids that are missing. It's closer than you'd think though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Pete, I think the Vetta model is pretty close too but it is missing that IN YOUR FACE sizzle that the SLO has. I consider Vetta SLO model more of the "studio" version post console mixing rather than the raw rip your guts out gain rich shred tone that the real SLO100 has. The one thing about the real SLO that always struck me was that if you were a lousy player the SLO100 was a very bad choice. On the flipside, Mesa's tend to be much more forgiving.

Comment

Working...
                                X