Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldano HR50+XL clip :)

http://members.cox.net/vht50/petesoldano.mp3

First part is the clean channel with volume full up and neck pickup on my wolfgang. Overdriven stuff is the bridge pickup. Mic was an SM57 straight at a cone 1" away, cabinet was a line6 flextone 4x12 closed back.

Tonal comments? BTW, I wasn't going for an EVH tone, so judge it on it's own merits, not whether or not I got a 'brown sound'.

This was a first take/quick shot, so no mentioning the clambake inside. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Re: Soldano HR50+XL clip

This was a first take/quick shot, so no mentioning the clambake inside.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have got be effin' kidding me. [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

That amp roars, bro. Now I know what all the fuss about Soldano is. I guess that is what everyone wanted Marshalls to sound like all along. Ripping but still smooth.

What kinda volume setting did you have to crank it up to for that tone?

Comment

Yeah Baby!!

Comment

Thanks guys. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I redid the clip with different power tubes... that first clip was with TungSol 5881s, this is with the chinese groove tubes that I got with the head:

http://members.cox.net/vht50/hotforteacherGT6L6.mp3

Pete

Comment

Wow! That is a huge difference. Those chinese tubes sound much bigger and alive. Great harmonics. The first clip was much more compressed sounding. I can't get over what a difference.

Will your Twisteramp Poweramp show that much variation in tone if I switch out different types of 6V6s?

Comment

Fritz - yeah, I put an old USA 6V6 in there and a new Ruby EL34 for you to try in the power section, and then a 12au7, GE USA 12ax7, and a high gain chinese 12ax7 to try. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You should be able to get all sorts of tones with different combinations.

Also, I did run the soldano on the second clip with MUCH less bass and more treble, mids and presence. I think I was trying to do a bogner impression on the first clip.

Volume-wise the Soldano was loud enough to piss my wife off, but not enough to piss off neighbors. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The amp I built you is actually a little louder when cranked than the volume I recorded the soldano at.

Pete

Comment

Monster playing as ALWAYS! Go VHPete!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] The second clip is more my sort of tone, it feels less squished and more open and meaty which I love.

Comment

The second tone is friggin TONE HEAVEN. Pete.. that is the tone. PERIOD. Leave those tubes in or I will have to come over and thrash ya. I gotta get me one of those.

Comment

great playing Pete. The amp sounds really nice too
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Yeah, that woke it up! I thought the overall "too smooth' sound of the first clip was the cab, but apparently not.
                    I wish we lived near each other...you could have been playing Soldanos LONG ago, and I'd love for you to check out the Peters.

Those clips sound damn good, and I can tell the amp is inspiring to you.
                    I can't wait till you get to ring out an SLO!

Comment

Very cool! Great playing!

Comment

Damn....Love it. (2nd tone IS it!!) One of these days I will play that good...or not..

Comment

Sounds good. The second clip sounds way better. If you ever get an SLO, it will be all over. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I like the second one better also Pete. I agree with Chuck that your going to like the SLO better though. It's got that little extra something that just makes it the best amp out there.
                            We must!
                            We must!
                            We must increase the bust!
                            The bigger the better!
                            The tighter the sweater!
                            The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Geeze...SLO owners I think everyone knows that the Hot Rod 50 isn't a SLO. If it was a SLO it wouldn't be 1/2 the price of a SLO [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, the amp sounds nice on its own, yeah it isn't a SLO or an XTC 101b or a Pittbull etc...etc..etc..
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                              X