Scored a Mesa Studio .22+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scored a Mesa Studio .22+

All the talk around here has made me watch for one of these and I pulled the trigger a week ago on ebay. Here's the link.

I got it Thursday. The guy put the combo back together (with the Mesa rack mount kit inside the bottom of the combo) for shipping, which was probably a good idea. Unfortunately, it arrived with both EL-84s and a couple of the 12AX7s shattered in the amp, but otherwise was in good shape. I put some other tubes in it and it works fine (generally - more below)and the tone is great. I can't imagine this without the EQ though. Just a basic scooped setup improves the tone of the lead channel by an order of magnitude!

Some questions for you other owners out there:

Since I need to order some tubes for it, any favorites? (I had to pull the 12AX7s out of my SLO to test it.)

I get some noise all the time on both channels. It's no problem when I'm playing, but when I'm not it's a little annoying. It definitely increases with the master volume control and is about the same on both the lead and clean channels. On most high gain amps, I probably wouldn't think twice if I was getting this on the lead channel, but it caught me off guard on the clean. It is not affected by the guitar volume control.

There are three settings for the front-panel EQ switch. What are they?

Any recommended settings? I know to play it and find my own, but a jumpstart is never a bad idea.

That's enough for now. I'm leaving it in combo form for the time being, but do have the rack kit and might move it back to a rack-head and run it through a closed back cab if I come across a good deal on a small one. Right now I only have 4x12s and if they're going, I'm hauling the SLO!

Re: Scored a Mesa Studio .22+

Ross - the answers that I know, in no real order:

Top position is auto - that engages the EQ on lead channel only. Middle is off - it makes the footswitch work. Down is EQ on both lead and rhythm channels.

One thing that bugged me a bit about the .22+s that I had was that when you get the preamp gain turned up much, the clean channel starts to develop a 'paper tearing' kinda sound, at least mine did. I never ran the preamp gain above 7 or so for that reason. It seemed to give good grind in the lead channel and preserve the clean channel.I also ran the bass pretty low on the amp - around 4 max - because it would tend to make the tones kinda fuzzy in the high gain channel.

Tubewise, I'd recommend JJ EL84s. They sound nice and beefy in the EL84 mesas.

Try the amp into a 4x12... tone for days.

Pete

Noise could be a tube - if the amp took a knock hard enough to break some, it could have damaged the others. Try replacing them with more from your SLO [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

well Ross in your opinion does it live up to the hype it gets around here?

Nice grab...cool little option to go rack or combo too.
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Petes advice was right on the money. I never use mine as a combo. I have an Avatar 2x12 cab loaded with Celestion G12H30 and V30 speaker and it rocks.
        Yes, the graphic EQ is a must with these amps.
        The tone controls are located in the preamp stages, so use them to shape the distortion paramaters and the graphic for EQ.

Here's my settings, L to R: 5-7, whatever on the volumes, 7.5, 4, 7, whatever on reverb, and 8. Do the V on the graphic and adjust to taste. Seriously, grab a cabinet for it. Even the Mesa 1x12 open back extension cab I had helps. But into a 2x12 or 4x12 is where these things come alive!

I have had good luck with the EH's and I like the JAN 5751 in V1. Calms the gain down a touch.

Comment

I did move all of the EH 12AX7s from my SLO to the .22+ and I think it's working ok now. It buzzed for a while and then seemed to work itself out. I'll just have to watch it and see what happens. I hauled it off to play today (church deal - read: very low volume) and it did fine but was definitely overkill for the job. I had a hard time balancing the lead and rhythm volumes at that low of level. Perhaps after playing some more with it, I can manage it.

I also got a very pronounced pop when channel switching. Is that part of the beast, or does Mesa use something different for channel switching? It does not happen if nothing is coming from the amp at the time, but does if I have any strings ringing - sounds like a cap somewhere that discharges. (I noticed the same thing when I hit the stand-by and still had notes ringing.)

Despite some initial frustrations with it, I'm happy with the purchase. From what I've seen the price was pretty good, and tracking down the .22+ vs. the .22 seems to be difficult, especially with the 5-band EQ. So far it seems to live up to the hype around here. I was really impressed with how good of a heavy sound it had, as a combo. Most other small Mesas I've played get boxy and muddy, especially in combo form. (I had a DC-3 1x12 combo years ago that was this way. I don't know if it was the amp, or the V-30 speaker, or what, but the lead channel was pretty muddy.) OTOH, I've played so little lately that the Mesa forgiveness was very nice next to the SLO lead sound! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The 22+ models are gainier than the .22s imho. I had trouble with getting a popping noise on one of mine when the reverb was up very high... might want to check that out.

The lead channel on the .22+ amps is one of the most forgiving, sustainy, easy to play things I have ever heard. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

You guys are making me want to buy one of these amps...

Comment

Give into the force. Embrace the darkside. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

It worked on me and I've been assimilated...ok that's enough geeky sci-fi cliches in one post.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Every player needs to own a Studio .22
                  YOU.... are no exception! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you should buy one of these amps...
                    It's a sickness, ya see...

Comment

Chuck is right. The Studio 22 is nice as a stand alone combo but it really comes alive when plugged into a closed back 2 x 12 or 4 x 12. I use mine stand alone mostly but I do run mine 3 ways:
                      Stand alone
                      2 x 12 8 ohm cabinet into the 4 ohm speaker out and I run the stock internal speaker too. Sounds really good.

4 x 12 cabinet wired in stereo 2 x 12 8 ohms per side plugged into the Mesa 8 ohm and the 4 ohm speaker outs with the internal speaker unplugged. It sounds fantastic.

Comment

How do you guys think about the .22 vs the Mark IIC+ ?
                        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

and if you want that sound but louder go for the .50 cal.
                          i agree that they do sound way better through a closed back cab. i use mine with a vertical 2x12 recto and i love it.
                          my latest setting have been 6.5g, 4m, 4Lv, 9t, 5b, 5m, 2r, 0p, graphic on, just below top line, just above middle line, just below middle line, just below middle line, and just below top line.
                          i don't allow any guitarist in my band to use presence, cause it allways ends up white washing the entire mix. although presence does sound better when playing by yourself.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            How do you guys think about the .22 vs the Mark IIC+ ?

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Are you kidding me?? There is no comparison. The Mark IIC+ is the mother of all the Marks. Heck.. it is the mother of all that is Boogie. Super expensive and sought after. You could buy 4 Studio 22's easy for the price of one Mark IIc+.

Comment

Interesting tidbit about the Mark IIC+ - there are several guys on HC that have owned them and the IIIs, and think that certain versions of the III sound the same, or can be dialled in. Plus the only real way to confirm a IIC+ is to call the factory and give them the serial #, since the only way to tell on the outside is a mark on the back which can be duplicated pretty easily.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X