Full shred

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full shred

I just traded Yet another one( cool guy by the way) a custom custom for a Full Shred. I had heard that the Full Shred had a lot of highs to it, well I stuck it in my guitar and it sounds GREAT!

It has a very smooth sound to it, it sounded a bit like the custom custom only with more output. This full shred came off a Kramer nightswan. Were there any differences in those and the ones you buy from SD?

Also it is non logoed, is that just caese it was an older pup? In any case it sounds awesome and I have heard that SD stopped making them, is that true?
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: Full shred

To me, the older non-logo'd Seymour Duncan pickups sound completely different from the new ones. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the new one's were actually wound in some 3rd world country by workers making 15 cents an hour. Older Duncan JB's out of 80's Kramer guitars sound pretty good to me while the newer ones sound lifeless and are horribly inconsistent from one pickup to the next.

I used to own a Nightswan with the Full Shred in the bridge position. It was just a little bit different from a JB. It's actually a little less output than a JB and less low end. It sounded fairly decent but wouldn't be my choice today as a new purchase.

By the way, Duncan has a new line of economy pickups called the "Duncan Performer" which I guess are just Duncan Design pickups. I got a USA Jackson in recently with an 80's DiMarzio in the neck and Duncan Performer Invader copy in the bridge. The Duncan Performer is a complete piece of lifeless crap, low output and muddy as hell. The DiMarzio in the neck walks all over it. Needless to say, I'm waiting for an 80's DiMarzio Super Distortion to get here off eBay.

Comment

If you like the Full Shred, you'll also dig the DiMarzio Super 2. I love the Super 2 as a neck pup with either a Super Distortion or X2N in the bridge. I think VitaminG uses a Super 2 in the bridge on one of his guitars, but I think it would be too bright there, IMO.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        To me, the older non-logo'd Seymour Duncan pickups sound completely different from the new ones. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the new one's were actually wound in some 3rd world country by workers making 15 cents an hour. Older Duncan JB's out of 80's Kramer guitars sound pretty good to me while the newer ones sound lifeless and are horribly inconsistent from one pickup to the next.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude you couldn't be more wrong! The old JBs were usually hotter and had higher DC Resistance. The new ones are slightly smoother and just as consistent. It just really depends on your guitar and whether you have a regular spaced or trembucker JB. I've tried the JB in several guitars, both new and old, and the new JB sounds excellent to me, they really seem to come to life in Poplar/Alder and Mahogany

The full shred is a cool pick up, I especially like it's attack and bite. When you add some more bass and slightly more mids on your amp you can get awesome chunky palm mutes. Calling it a slightly hotter Custom Custom is like hitting the nail on the head, that's absolutely correct!

Comment

I love the Full Shred, and my main gigging (Soloist Pro) and recording (DR2 USA) guitars both have a Full Shred in the bridge position. I used to swear by the JB, but I've always found the Full Shred to be far better suited to my playing style. My favorite combination is the Full Shred in the DR2's ash body.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X