Randall RG100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Randall RG100

I can't beleive your'e not getting good solid distortion especially at lower levels..It tends to lose some of it as you push it harder with the master. Look at my previous post about the knob setup.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I can't beleive your'e not getting good solid distortion especially at lower levels..It tends to lose some of it as you push it harder with the master. Look at my previous post about the knob setup.

[/ QUOTE ]
      I only have a pull out on the treble, It boosts the gain a bit but not that much, Is there anything I can run through the loop to boost it a bit? I don't want to use my J-Station for my tone anymore lol. I just wonder if something could be wrong with it, I KNOW it can get more full/saturated, I have seen people use them at some local Hardcore shows and they sounded killer.

Comment

are you on the red or chann.#2? put it on chann. 2 master on 2 and gain on 10. turn other channel completely off or on zero for now

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          are you on the red or chann.#2? put it on chann. 2 master on 2 and gain on 10. turn other channel completely off or on zero for now

[/ QUOTE ]
          Thats how I have it set, There isnt enough saturation I guess, I like a really full, thick kind of tone. So far I have gotten a Acid Bath tone with less distortion, I know the pots are dirty as hell, I wonder if this could make it sound the way it does. I Just wish I could get a more saturated tone out of it, I know there is a mod so that when you pull out the treble knob there is no loss in volume, I just don't know who could do it.... I wonder if there is a way to mod it for more gain too lol. I want a tight crunch when I mute instead of a metalic bloop lol.

Comment

I myself like the dist. tone better without the treb. knob pulled. That does make it sound thinner to my ears but does give it more of a singing or sustaining quality. You can slam the front with a SD1 or distortion pedal.I guess you have tweaked the tone controls for more bass than treble then? Are you in the high gain input?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I myself like the dist. tone better without the treb. knob pulled. That does make it sound thinner to my ears but does give it more of a singing or sustaining quality. You can slam the front with a SD1 or distortion pedal.I guess you have tweaked the tone controls for more bass than treble then? Are you in the high gain input?

[/ QUOTE ]
              I have tried both, in high I get more crunch, in the low I get a more overdrive kind of sound, I mean I like it, It sounds almost exact to Acid Bath - When The Kite String Pops but a little more rough sounding around the edges. I will find a way to get it smoother some how I guess.

Comment

It's possible your tone pots aren't working correctly. Can you get a nice meaty tone on your clean chann. or without dist.? I used a MP1 one with mine but still get a great sound without it!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  It's possible your tone pots aren't working correctly. Can you get a nice meaty tone on your clean chann. or without dist.? I used a MP1 one with mine but still get a great sound without it!

[/ QUOTE ]
                  I have to turn up the dist a little on the clean to get any real volume, but not enough to really distort the clean or anything. I may just run my j-station through it until I can get somethign to give me a better tone, I wonder is a Sans Amp GT-2 would sound good through it... I like the tone I get now a bit, it's a totaly different sound, just not mine.

Comment

Oh ok it sounds like it's working then.Get a EQ pedal and put it in the effects loop or even in the front end.See which way you like best.You should be able to taylor it to your liking then....The wife wants to get on the computer now so I better go. I'll check back later this evening to see if you made any progress.Do you have any preamps or other things with an eq in them around you can experiment with?........good luck

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Oh ok it sounds like it's working then.Get a EQ pedal and put it in the effects loop or even in the front end.See which way you like best.You should be able to taylor it to your liking then....The wife wants to get on the computer now so I better go. I'll check back later this evening to see if you made any progress.Do you have any preamps or other things with an eq in them around you can experiment with?........good luck

[/ QUOTE ] Nope just a J-Station, I like the distortion out of that through the Randall, but it has a hollow/middy dejent(meshuggah) mute to it lol, I may just stick with this for now I guess. I want to get a DS-1 and try that, I know people have gotten killer tone with a Metal Zone through this head(Crowbar has one HELL of a tone imo) SO I guess I am on the lookout for a cheap metal zone.

Comment

There ya' go. That elusive tone search.I ended up getting a mesa 20/20 cuse I wanted the warmth of tubes.The randall gets a great 80's tone but the s.s. only goes so far.The two amps sound great together. A metal zone would definately be an option.Might as well get a eq and put it thru the loop. they are not too expensive.and give you more control.

Comment

Working...
                        X