Triple XXX??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple XXX??

So I remember trying one of these when they were new, being a George Lynch fan and all, but I also remember them sounding awful. But when I saw It Dies Today, one of their guitarists was using one, modded to have a built-in noise gate like the JSX does, and it sounded killer! He didn't really have a whole lot going into it, just the head into a VHT 4x12 and maybe a Boss tuner pedal or something. What was I doing wrong??!

Re: Triple XXX??

I actually like that Amp for the $$$ but personally I think I would ike the JSX more for myself. Some peole love them. To me it was a little dry and Harsh sounding though.
    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
    So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Maybe the one you tryed out was not proberly setup and biased? They take a lot of tweaking to really dial in what you want. I've had one for about a year. It's a fantastic amp for the price.

Comment

The XXX does have a built in gate.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Actually, according to your post title, the amp in question is called the XXX XXX XXX, and I don't think I've ever seen one... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Comment

but they are referred to by peavey themselves as a X^3 chuckracer.. hahaha

triple xxx... makes tons of sense...

i wish i had an amp like that.. i can't afford crap in the means of amps.. lol

Comment

Well anyway, the XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX that this guy had sounded really good, so I wanna try one again.

Comment

I am shopping one too.
                I think for the money,it is one of the best buys.
                I loved my 5150's and Triple X seems cool with independent EQs on each CH.
                Only that nasty front face bothers me(or my wife) so I will take it off when I get mine though.

Comment

i think they sound great
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

i used to really like them. had one for a while too, could never quite get what i wanted out of it. the more i played it the worse it sounded to me dry and harsh. both the guitar players in my old band use them too. very shrill sounding but that could be operator error, LOL
                    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

I own one and it's a great hard-rock/metal amp. You gotta set it up right though. You need better tubes and a re-bias. A lower gain pre-amp tube in the preamp will help as well to tame all the silly gain they have. I also recommend EL34s instead of the 6L6s in this amp, more of a nice mid crunch.

Comment

has anyone here had a chance to try a JSX? I can't find a store in boston that has one.
                        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Actually, according to your post title, the amp in question is called the XXX XXX XXX, and I don't think I've ever seen one... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not saying it makes sense, but "Triple XXX" is what Peavey named them.

And a while back Roger Crimm posted at the Peavey amp forum how to replace one resistor with a pot to make the XXX's gate adjustable like the JSX's. I might have to do that mod this weekend... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Keith
                          The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Found it...

"The noise gate circuit is a couple of diodes connected back to back on the preamp board.
                            There is a 1 meg resistor across them that you would replace. It is R3 on my schematic (Triple XXX head).
                            I recommend an audio taper pot."

Keith
                            The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

I have the XXX head w/Matching 4x12 cab. It sounds awesome, I'm really happy with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X