Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking for a new amp - recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for a new amp - recommendations?

hi all

i'm looking for another amp, because my current amp just doesnt really cut it for the stuff i'm playing (which is...well...what is it....i'd call it melodic thrash metal with death metal influences ^^ basically thrash metal with quite a lot melodies (think esp. newer kreator) and heavy death metal sections)

i want a 3 channel head, about 100watts, with a decent clean channel, an over the top rhythm channel, and an articulate lead channel. my budget for the head only is max. 1500 euro, the cab will be a standart 1960 marshall straight.

at the moment, i've narrowed it down to the following amps

peavey triple XXX - this is my favourite at the moment, judging only from the specs and features and what people keep telling me. i like the active eq controls, the more marshall-sounding crunch channel, and the ultra channel because it's at least similar to a rectifier. 1150 euro new

used mesa dual rectifier - i've observed ebay for some time now, and usually the older 2 channel heads go for 1500 euro. this is the amp that is mostly used by the band which i think have a great sound - particulary cannibal corpse and nevermore.

framus cobra head - is about 1450 euro new. afaik this baby is even considered a boutique amp ^^ i dont quite like the layout of the channels (the lead channel is basically the same as the crunch channel sound wise, but more gain, unlike the rectifier or the XXX which have quite different distortion channels), but people just dont stop recommending the damn thing ^^

side note: while i haven't played the powerball yet, i've played the fireball which is said to be very similar sounding to the p-ball. it surely was a great sound, but it wasnt even remotely similar to what i'd like to hear coming out of my amp. too british sounding for my tastes (which is one reason why i'll sell my current amp)

i have not played any of those three amps listed above, but i'm going to drive to the next big guitar store either tomorrow or on thursday. i just want to know what you guys recommend me before i check them out.
    i have never heared a cobra in action, but the clips i've downloaded sounded great, just a bit bright for my tastes (i like fairly dark sounds)
    when i saw nevermore live last year, jeff played his triple XXX stack, and steve his triple rectifier. honestly, i thought jeff had a waaaay better sound, but this may have been due to the soundman and/or steves crappy greenback speakers ^^ i HATE greenbacks [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

greets and thanks in advance
    fragle

Re: looking for a new amp - recommendations?

Hey Fragle,
    I would suggest you to get a Framus Cobra,imo it's better than a rectifier and it's made in germany too.

Comment

I vote for the Cobra. It can be dark and bright.

Comment

I vote for a whole other amp. Sick your teeth into an ENGL Savage. This thing has a way better clean channel than any amps you've mentioned so far and produces a thick wall of gain. You won't even want to turn this sucker's gain up, because it has such an amazing amount! Oh yeah the Savage seems to have the best clean channel of all ENGLs and rivals most high gain amps. The XXX is cool if you want to do trashy stuff, but don't do it if you're planning on getting an amp with a good clean. The Dual Recto never appealed to me, it always has issues, either getting muddy or sounding too thin. I have no experience with the Cobra so I can't comment on that one

You live in Germany right? BTW hey country neighbour [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. ENGL amps don't seem to be going for a lot there since they're made there

Comment

I can tell you right now what everybody's recommendations will be:

5150, XXX, or in some cases a dual recto. (listed in order of popularity)

Comment

What do you think of the Engl Thunder 50? I'm not a death metal type, so I don't need quite that much gain.

Comment

I'd say try the ENGL Ritchie Blackmore signature. It has different sounding gain channels, and the clean channel is the best I've tried. Plus it's cheaper than the Savage (which IMO is pretty goddamn expensive!!) But I guess ENGL amps are cheaper for you than for me, since you live in their home country! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              I'm into much of the same music style you mention, and I don't care what you wanna say about Richie...his amp rocks for metal sounds.

Comment

"i want a 3 channel head, about 100watts, with a decent clean channel, an over the top rhythm channel, and an articulate lead channel. my budget for the head only is max. 1500 euro, the cab will be a standart 1960 marshall straight."

I might also add that most amplifier companies claim to have these features, and many people will back that up. I'd just go play a bunch of amps. Bring a friend with you to blindfold youwhile he plugs into a different amp.

Comment

hell you might love the mesa F-series.

but i'm holding out for the mesa stilletto.
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

i'm going to say either a line 6 hd147 or a vetta 2.
                    the distortions are brutal, the cleans are excellent, plus all the f/x that are available are incredible.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I can tell you right now what everybody's recommendations will be:

5150, XXX, or in some cases a dual recto. (listed in order of popularity)

[/ QUOTE ]

Except the first two have a ridiculously bad clean channel and the Dual Recto, well let's just say it ain't impressive

@Axeman: Dude ENGLs go for insane prices around here. Mint second hand Savages will be 900 euros in Holland, maybe even cheaper in Germany. I think ENGL and Framus are the only brands we can get cheaper than you guys though. When I look at your eBay I always wish I were a US resident [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

I like a lot of line6 stuff but if you want really good cleans there is no way around it but going for tube amps. Mint second hand savage for 900 euros sound pretty good to me, I've only seen one here, that was not mint, had done extensive touring, was a 1994 model, for sale for roughly 1400 euros. A new one would cost me around 2150 euros (excluding cab and midi pedal.)
                        Whereas the Blackmore retails for about 1380 euros here.

Comment

VHT Pittbull Classic, they do it all and very tight. Jack.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            i'm going to say either a line 6 hd147 or a vetta 2.
                            the distortions are brutal, the cleans are excellent, plus all the f/x that are available are incredible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second this, the Vetta 2 just *kills* though it does require some tweaking as the stock sounds are somewhat weak.
                            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

ooops......it seems like i used the wrong word [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] when i said that i'd like to have a decent clean channel, i basically meant something like "usable" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                              i'm mainly focusing on heavy rhythm distortion, and a really clear lead channel (i'm the lead guitar player in our band, and í tend to play somewhat neoclassical sounding leads, and i need clarity). at the moment we have only one song that has a clean section, so you see, clean isnt really that important. i definitely dont want a sparkling fender clean sound (well....if the amps clean channel sounds that good, it's alright ^^ but not neccessary, really), the most important thing for me is clean headroom. afaik the triple xxx's clean channel has hardly any breakup even at high volumes, so it would be totally sufficient for me.

folks, forget the vetta QUICKLY. they are about 2200€ new, and there are very few at ebay.
                              i tested the hd147 and found the lead and esp. the clean sounds to be outstanding, but the rhythms were somewhat lacking imo.....i think for 1200 euro new they are a bit overpriced. (btw: i saw one used last week....for 800 euro incl. shortboard....in a really really great condition....ebay....but some P.O.S hit the buy it now button before me)

about engl amps: as i said above, the only engl amp i've played until now is the fireball, and it sounded great. the thing is, it is not MY sound. as i already said, a bit too british sounding. i might check out the savage, though.
                              one thing i really dislike about the blackmore is that it has only one EQ for 4 channels. my current amp has 2 channels with one shared EQ, and i HATE the shared EQ thing. if the rhythm sounds great, the lead sucks, and if i manage to dial in a sound that sounds both great at lead and rhythm, the clean channel is completely unusable.
                              but i dont know, maybe the engl is designed in a way that all four channels are usable? (well, lets say three, because i will never ever use a crunch channel ^^ )

greets
                              fragle

Comment

Working...
                              X