Solid State Amps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid State Amps.

I've been searching in the old posts but I can't really conclude....

The Marshall VS sounds like a interesting Solid State Amp.

The tone I'm looking for is a Killswitch Engage like, that Warm Heavy sound with nice palm muting etc...

I don't want a Tube Amp.

What would you suggest? It needs to sound good for gigs and not sound like ass at higher volumes.

Re: Solid State Amps.

Peavey Transtube Anything.
    Boutique Amp Tube Snob Deluxe here, according to Lerx, that is.
    Transtubes kick serious ass.
    The Peavey XXL is based on transtube technology. My buddy Mark, Guitarist/Singer/Songwriter/Principal in Article 13 switched from a Recto to one and is muay happy.

Comment

That's true, Chuck, but I say it with love! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]One good thing about those Transtubes is consistency of sound, night after night. Another is low maintenance and reliability. Finally, they can be had dirt-cheap off of Ebay. If you're on a budget, there's the trifecta!Boutique amps are great, but just as a lot more people can afford Camaros than Maseratis, most musicians can afford Peavey, Marshall and Mesa, not Soldano, Rivera, Diezel and Bogner. You can appreciate the beauty of the boutique rig, but when the boutiquers denigrate anything that's not boutique, and even boutique amps not of their preference, then it's a bit annoying. Chuck is of course a guy who can appreciate the virtues of cheap-but-cool as well as the stratosphere of ampdom.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

marshall valvestates do sound pretty good and for the money they are hard to beat ive also heard good reviews of the line6 stuff but havent checked them out yet so cant comment on them

Comment

I played a gig with some friends at a huge b'day party last friday, played through a borrowed Marshall VS 2x12 combo with a BOSS ME-50 pedal (I think..don't remember the model name of the amp but I can find out)...managed to dial in a pretty crazy tone with that thing! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] palm mutes heavier than James' [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I agree with Chuck. You can't beat a Peavey Transtube. I had a 1 x 12 supreme that was exactly what you are looking for.

Comment

i second the xxl. i hah a couple of chances to play it and i think its an excellent amp for the price.

Comment

Peavey stuff rocks (most of the time) and are built like tanks...plus they are cheap. Check them out. I was playing through one of the line 6 spider II combos the other day, and although it sounded good, it seemed a little flimsy-the pots turn very loosely (I HATE THAT!)

Comment

Marshall Valvestates from the early to mid '90s.
                  Fender RocPro 1000.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

you think the older valvestates sound better. why

Comment

yeah for soildstate it doesn't get any better than the peavey XXL ! //Steve

Comment

If you could find one, look for an Ampeg SS-70C or an SS-140C. They also sound friggin awesome.

Comment

I had an Ampeg SS-70 in high school and it was great but I only played it at home. A friend of mine in a band had the SS-140 and I remember it doing the typical solidstate thin-out/sound like ass when you cranked it. They're definitely worth checking out but just make sure you turn it up and you still like the sound.
                          Otherwise, the XXL seems to get a lot of great reviews.
                          Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

80's randalls
                            BTW im also one of those weirdos that likes the old Marshall masterleads much better than any of the valvestate stuff. they dont have the same amount of gain but i think they tone is much fuller.

Comment

My Tube Works head has SS power, but tube preamps. Good stuff!

Comment

Working...
                              X