Solid State Amps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Solid State Amps.

I like Peavey's Transtube series. Marshall's original Valstate's are pretty cool too, but technically, there not ALL solid-state, with a triode in the preamp curcuit.

Comment

Thanks guys, I think I will go with the peavey xxl head.

Looks pretty sweet!

Comment

I own a Marshall VS100. While it sounds great, it hasn't proven very reliable although it's possible that I just got stuck with a "lemon". Somebody else mentioned the Fender RocPro. I had one of those, too. And I regret getting rid of it...
        "my aim is precise, armed with my own failures"

Comment

If you have to solid state, and you want something newer with warranty and cheap, well I would suggest either a Marshall HDFX100:
          http://www.harmony-central.com/Guita...X_Head-01.html

Its got a lot of versatility, multiple effects, Built in effects loop, and the clean channel stays clean even at etreme volumes. Its something you have to play around with to find your sound, buts its got some hellacious CHUNK to it and the "countour" midrange scoop knob is pretty killer.

or the AVT50H:
          http://www.harmony-central.com/Guita...H_Head-01.html

Notice some complain that they went and got the AVT50 instead of the 100HDFX. Why? Well many wanted a more "tubey" sound- which is what you DON'T want. In addition, note the complaints about the clean channel getting all muddy and/or breaking up at higher volumes with the AVT50. However you may like the tone better so play both of them at guitar center or somewhere. Note, you will have to pay an extra $100 for the AVT50 due to the tubes.

I tried out both and personally I liked the 100HDFX better all around so I got one. I am actually a big fan of solid state Heads due to the fact that you have to push tube heads so damn loud to get what you need. COMBOS, however I am ALL for pure tube goodness, but tube heads just seem like overkill/over expensive stuff. Right now I am playing blues stuff so I got a Fender early 70's Vibro-Champ (pure blues!) all tube. Silky smooth vintage tube blues.

Anyway, the other solid state amp I have is a Lab Series L11:
          http://www.harmony-central.com/Guita...es/L11-01.html

This thing puts out an incredible 200 watts! Some of the warmest clean tone around and a HUGE spring reverb unit. Just plug in your pedals for overdrive/distortion. I just saw another one in a pawn shop for like $100. These things go for CHEAP and sound very, very good even at low volumes. At high volumes you could probably push 2 full stack speaker cabs with it and it stays CLEAN with awesome tone. You would probably need pedals for the distortion or overdrive though.
          But with a distortion pedal or multi-effects board this thing can run several half stacks and stay clean at almost the maxmimum volume.

If you can't find the Lab Series or one of these others around in the local pawn shops I would suggest you try out the Marshall 100HDFX at a guitar center and if you like it try to grab one off of Ebay. The AVT some like because it is partially tube and can break up at high volumes, but you aren't looking for that are you? You probably want to go try out that MG100HDFX. The built in effects loop return and send is EXTREMELY usefull and it also has an effects loop mix Knob on it so you can blend in the effects and distortion of the head with whatever pedals you may already have. In addition its got built in delay, reverb, chorus, AND flange. All in all a pretty good deal for the money. Its really all about value for your money and how much you can afford. Some people like it and can get the sound they want, some people can't. Read ALL of the reviews from everywhere on it. The best judge is of course your own ears. Pawnshopping for older stuff is of course (I think) the best best bang for your dollar. I just saw one of these:
          http://www.harmony-central.com/Guita...r_Head-01.html

Pure tube and its only $150! Its also a MONSTER at 160 watts of tube power. That thing could probably play a fricken stadium concert! But I am not sure about its versitility. It sounds like you may be wanting something more digital sounding.

Overall I have to say that if you are goiong to crank something up LOUD in a gig situation tube amps just sound better to me. Its just that once you get it back home in the bedroom or at an apartment, well, that better tone vanishes at low volumes when compared to decent solid state amps.

The RocPro and Peaveys are probably better than modern solid states. If I were you I would FIRST go check out ALL the pawn shops in your area, THEN go to guitar center or something and listen to the 100hdfx and the AVT50.

I live in the Fort Worth area and just in this area alone I have seen Fender RocPros, that peavy roadmaster, TWO Lab series L11 (one of them I bought), and numerous other cool solid state amps at VERY cheap prices. Always make them knock off at least 25% off the stickered price and haggle the hell out of them. You have to know how to play the game [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

BTW, The Lab Series L11 is possibly the best sounding clean channel head I have ever heard with the exception of some vintage combos. You won't get breakup, but you will get INCREDIBLE warm tone at both low volumes and high!

Comment

Oh, BTW, here is a few shots of the guts of the L11 MONSTER:

http://colessite.com/L11Guts.jpg
            See that MASSIVE spring reverb unit! That giant black thing to the left is a heatsink! Its got a LOUD fan that I am going to replace with an efficient quient one sometime in the future:
            http://colessite.com/fansink.jpg

But at $100 or maybe even cheaper, hell the reverb unit alone is worth at least that much

Comment

Why not look at one of the Line 6 offerings? My Vetta II is killer. If you don't want to drop that much money, the Flextone III is a subset of the Vetta II. My buddy had one and it sounds identical to the Vetta II (the Vetta II just has more of everything).
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I've got a roland VGA-3 50watt amp and it cost me 250 pounds.

It's a solid state and it has 10 independent midi channels on it (and it remember your settings!). All you'd have to do is buy a roland midi footswitch for about 200 pounds and your totally set for almost any sound you want!

I normally use the r-fier emulator and it kicks so much ass!

I'd seriously recommend giving one a shot [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  80's randalls

[/ QUOTE ]
                  +1! I've got an old RG and with an eq in front it nails the killswitch tone, and they can be had really cheap. Oh yeah, they take to abuse like a duck to water!

Comment

Working...
                  X