tangled cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tangled cable

(I thought I posted this earlier, but I think I made a mistake and killed it)

Last week at practice, I had a problem with my head - the highs kept cutting in and out as I was playing. I didn't want to mess with it, so I plugged into a different amp and had no problems.

Last night, I got to practice early and my speaker cable was tangled, had a knot in it and was buried under a bunch of other cables. I straightened it out and got all the other cables out of the way, and I didn't have a problem with the sound at all.

Is it possible that the tangled cable caused the highs to cut in and out? I don't want this happening during a gig, but I don't want to waste the tech's time looking for a problem I've already handled...

Re: tangled cable

just to be safe, I would replace the cable and check the solder joints in your control cavity.

Comment

Yes, I've heard of this phenomena. After so much tangle and wrapping of a cable and orientation with certain metal obects, it forms a torroidial filter effect, which can result in what is a low pass filter removing all highs from the guitar. It most always will happen around a harvest moon or vernal equinox though...

Either that, or a small family evil trolls or gremlins have moved into your amp. This will cause high frequency loss as well. This also happens a lot around the Harvest moon also.

I'd look to either situation as likely problems.

Comment

Damn, I forgot about the trolls. What you need is a good Exorcist. Or some leeches.

Comment

thats why I only use 3 foot speaker cables....head to cab, no room for slop.
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Damn, I forgot about the trolls. What you need is a good Exorcist. Or some leeches.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll drill a hole in the head to let the evil spirits out, too.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Yes, I've heard of this phenomena. After so much tangle and wrapping of a cable and orientation with certain metal obects, it forms a torroidial filter effect, which can result in what is a low pass filter removing all highs from the guitar. It most always will happen around a harvest moon or vernal equinox though...

Either that, or a small family evil trolls or gremlins have moved into your amp. This will cause high frequency loss as well. This also happens a lot around the Harvest moon also.

I'd look to either situation as likely problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">This is why I call you:

AMP GOD !! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] </font>
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I wish I could, but in our rehearsal space and venues we play at...I need something lengthy.

Comment

Working...
                X