Marshall JMP-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JMP-1

I have the oppurtunity to buy a JMP-1 for 400 Canadian (for future use), it seems like a very good deal, how can I tell that it's in full working order.

Re: Marshall JMP-1

When they are working properly, they sound like crap... That means it's ok.

And that is a lot of dough for that thing...

Comment

Here a modded one I had!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Here a modded one I had!

[/ QUOTE ]

Cleve... you forgot HISS..

Comment

Hehehehe... oooops.

Comment

Is it really that bad??? I thought it would be pretty good. I'll wait for some more posts before coming to a descision, the only thing that sucks is I don't have an amp of my own to test it out on yet and I was going to save it for future use.

Comment

What type of sound are you trying for?

Comment

I have a JMP-1 in my rack set up - I use it and a Piranha through a G-Major and a Mesa 20/20. It's a great sounding preamp, imho - I've had it for years and I can certainly afford to replace it if I chose. I use it for Classic Rock, Pop and Jazz stuff, and it does all of that very well. I can't speak for Metal applications, but since Iron Maiden relies on them for their live sound, I suspect they can handle that as well... Other pro users include Frank Gambale and Dave Mustaine, among many others. Cleve's dislike for the unit is legendarly, but it's clearly exagerated, bordering on obsessive...

Comment

$400CDN is a good price. I think they are excellent for what they were designed to do. I dont think Id use one, but for someone who wants those tones, it kicks ass............

Comment

Regardless of whether it sucks or not, Cleve's illustration had me laughing hard enough to make my co-workers think I'm insane.

Comment

Mustaine doesn't actually use one, and Iron Maiden isn't exactly heavy.

That preamp isn't all that much great for anything but much past classic rock. It's rack mounted diode distortion box with MIDI presets. If you can get one for $250us, that's ok.

Not obsessive, just truthful. I've owned one for years, and played many.

Buy an old ENGL 2 channel, you'll have a real preamp.

Comment

I think its a damn good preamp. But, of course tone is an extremely subjective thing. I'll wholeheartedly agree that an Engl 520 or 530 preamp would sound better, but I also think the Marshall unit would satisfy you. When I was in a death metal group, I found the JMP-1 to be in its element. I'd say its would be good for Classic Rock through Death Metal, becuase the only drawback to it were the so-so clean tones.

Comment

I used one of those for a good year and had great luck with it. It doesn't have a great clean sound but the dirty sounds are good and sound like a Marshall! If that's the type of sound you are after than this will give it to you, but don't expect to get that real heavy gain and scooped mids like a Mesa Dual Rec produces. JMO

[ QUOTE ]
                          Is it really that bad??? I thought it would be pretty good. I'll wait for some more posts before coming to a descision, the only thing that sucks is I don't have an amp of my own to test it out on yet and I was going to save it for future use.

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment

I used one for a long time. You can actually get a pretty good metal tone out of it using a parametric EQ, but if you're looking for "modern" tones, forget it -even with an EQ, I ended up going to a real Mesa.

However, someone looking to emulate '70s and early '80s Marshall tones could do a lot worse, and it'll do some stuff pretty well. The cleans can be weak, though.

Mike
                            Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

John tell them that we are Tone fanatics and I still swear by mine ...I still love mine dude ..

I recorded with it with my Uber on my Bed Of Nails Demo ...it's several pages back but It's there ...

I can nail a Criss Oliva / Glen Drover tone to a friggin' T ...It's has a sharp , tight and focused tone with lots of harmonics with hardly any "sag" at all ...just like any good Marshall tone.

I would buy one for no more that $300 ...because there is a bunch of them floating around... keep searchin' until you get a nice one for a good price.
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X