Marshall JMP-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall JMP-1

I had one, it was ok. It sure as hell wasn't anything like the ads showed... remember how it had a closeup of a circuit board, with plexis, JCM800s, JCM900s, JTM45s, etc on it? Said this preamp gets the exact tones, etc.

It doesn't.

But, it does do a decent 'generic marshall' tone. If that's where your tone quest begins and ends, then hey, go for it. I got the best sounds from mine with a BBE between it and a peavey classic 60 EL84 power amp, but I'm sure a VHT would really help a lot.

However, if I was in the market for a tube preamp, I'd rather buy the following:

Peavey Rockmaster (sounds better to me, only 3 channels, but a hell of a lot cheaper)

Mesa Quad or Studio preamp (studio for same price or a little cheaper, quad for a few bucks more. Each own the JMP1)

Soldano SP-77 Only two channels, but it sounds so much better, and changing tubes in it WILL change the sound. Changing tubes in the marshall has very little effect on the tone, or at least it did on mine.

ADA MP1 - starting to climb in price, I remember when $100 would buy a used one. I prefer these too.

I would also like to say that the companion fx processor - the JFX-1 - sounds REALLY good. I prefer the intellifex, but that JFX sounds so good that it makes you wonder if all their R&D went on it and then they just slapped the JMP1 together over a long weekend.

As always, just my opinion, if you like yours, that's all that matters.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

They are the best common and cheap amp out there, so they are everywhere. Simple as that.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you smoking? They are not a cheap amp as they are manufactured like Peaveys which are half the price and give equally as good but different tone.

The bottom line is many people pick Marshall because they like the tone and it fits them and/or the style of music they play and many of these people could get endorsements with smaller companies if they wished. Whether YOU think the tone is good or not is irrelevant.

Sorry man, but you make NO sense and are just going on hearsay. I'm waiting for you to spew the next "Internet Mantra" of "Marshalls are unreliable pieces of crap."

Comment

Marshalls are cheap. Just check the prices on real amps..............

Comment

How is Marshall not a *real* amp....this I gotta hear...

Comment

http://www.soldano.com/
            http://www.vhtamp.com/
            Too many real amps to post..........
            I guess you could call a Marshall a real amp if you compared it to a PV Rage, Gorilla or a Vantage amp, but in reality, Valvestate really sounds like ass...........
            Maybe a translation into 1970's hippie talk might be better.........

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              http://www.soldano.com/
              http://www.vhtamp.com/
              Too many real amps to post..........
              I guess you could call a Marshall a real amp if you compared it to a PV Rage, Gorilla or a Vantage amp, but in reality, Valvestate really sounds like ass...........
              Maybe a translation into 1970's hippie talk might be better.........

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHA!!!!

Comparing a Marshall to a Gorilla?? Marshall isn't a *real* amp??

What a gear snob!! LOL!!!

This just keeps getting better. Does it make you feel any stupider if I say that more people use those FAKE Marshall amps that those two other companies combined??

LOL!!

This is getting really good....I love the logic, or lack thereof here...

Comment

I used to use Marshalls until I found better things. What I really find funny, is when people say that amps like mine suck, you never see anybody really care, but when someone says Marshall sucks there is always some Marshallite who get their panties in a bind.............
                Marshall sucks, get over it..........

Comment

where i thnk a lot of the marshall bashing comes from is the change in component quality. i have an 82 (or 83) jcm800 verticle input 50 watt head. its construction is solid. the chasis is thick, the circuit board is thick, the pots aren't mounted to the board, the face plate is thicker...the sound is totally different (again thicker [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]).

what is my point of reference you may ask? a 2004 jcm2000 TSL head. there is just no comparison to the 80's jcm800. build wise OR tone wise. the 2000 series is just "cheap" in comparision. thin circuit boards, board mounted pots, chessy tube sockets, weak transformers, even the aluminum face plate is thinner!! the tone is much fizzier than the sound of older marshalls. more pre-amp distortion, where as on an older marshall a lot of the grunt came from the power stage. my 800 sounds the best when it is cranked with a power brake. doesn't seem to make too much of a difference with the 2000.

i don't think the 900's are as bad as the 2000's, but i still don't like them. in my opinion a lot of the change in marshall's sound came when the distortion became diode induced rather than 100% tube. if memory serves me correctly, this started happening on later 800's.

but does it make marshall worse than crate? no. different than what they used to be? yes. same can be said about most large companies. although i do remember a time when marshall was more expensive, more exclusive, and not as readily available (in my area) as now. we used to have 1 marshall dealer. now we have 5 or 6. that, to me, says a lot about declining quality. why? you must pump up production to meet the supply needs of all those orders. but id there are that many dealers, they must be selling a lot of marshalls, right? not that i can see. the area would be better off with 2 dealers and a better product.

but that's just me.

sorry, i have never tried the preamp.
                  GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

You're hilarious buddy, nobody said your amps suck they're good amps too so don't cry alright.

The fact is that Marshalls dont' suck...like I said, YOU may not like the tone, but that doesn't mean they suck.

I don't like the way Rectos sound...however, they don't suck..not by a longshot.

You guys are hilarious

Comment

Youre right, Marshall sucks............

Comment

i don't like rectos either, too buzzy on the top, too flubby on the bottom. i like amps that no one around here except bigdaddyD seems to like, Rivera. that what makes the world go around...choices.
                        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Youre right, Marshall sucks............

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!!!

Comment

I like the way the older Marshalls sound, I don't like the way MESA sound (in my hands at least). Buit the MESA are heads above in build and component quality.

Ranalli, I think when you around to owning a few other amps of better quality, you might get a clue, till then, I probably wouldn't comment on what I smoke. I've owned more Marshalls in the last 25 years of the time I've played amps than you could care to hear about.

Yes, their build quality IS crap, and the component quality is crap as well. And their service department is a joke, and I have had to use it many times for cold solder joints and all sorts of stupid stuff that should just not happen. Things that local shops often won't fix for them as Marshall won't pay them enough to deal with all the stuff, and if they take it in, they let it sit till they have time and no other better paying jobs, haha.

Again, I TRULY wish I could say Marshall rules (like I did when I was 17) but I just can't man, and that is from sheer logic and playing experience.

And yes, a Marshall is cheap compared to any other high quality amp. A 5150 is cheaper, but not as universally accepted in the general music world, just the rock and metal community.

I wrecked a car and ejected a 5150 45 feet into a field, and it STILL WORKED! A roadie dropped one of my 4100 Marshalls 3 feet into wet grassy turf, and it broke ceramic resistors inside, and later more cold solder joints raised their head. Jeez... Reliability? Not sure I'd say that about the new ones! My 800s at least never broke...

Comment

Again, wrong logic.

You had one Marshall that broke out of how many that are out there??

Yeah, more Marshalls break than probably any other brand out there, however, there are at least 100 Marshalls out there for every ONE of another VHT, Soldano, whatever. So when you start looking at real statistical value and not internet hearsay you'll understand that they are not as un-reliable as people make them out to be.

And, I have owned high quality amps...they were very good, however, they were no Marshall and did not give me that great classic type sound those amps are known for.

The bottom line is that if YOU don't like Marshall, it doesn't mean they are bad amps.

I don't think people here have learned to qualify their statements with In My Opinion yet....would help out here alot.

And no, Marshalls are not cheap, they are average price in the US. Peaveys are cheaper in general and they are almost as accepted as Marshalls....country music anyone??

VHT, Soldano and the like make great amps....but they are not Marshalls...they won't give you that Marshall tone that many like. And furthermore, they're considered boutique....boutique is in the UPPER price bracket...Marshall is in the middle pretty much.

Comment

Tone is subjective.... Quality of internal parts are not. Simple fact. There are many amps out there that have a better build quality of the Marshall amps of today. If you like the tone.... Go for it i guess. i like amps that I can get fixed or even fix it myself with little effort. I have an Old 800 and I have had a few of them After the 800 series (old ones I don't know how the new reissues are built but I am assuming they are built like all production Marshalls now) the quality started to take a dive and continued a downward drop that is still here in present times.... IMO... Not looking to get into a rock throwin' fight. Just stating well known facts. Buy a few and open them up. You will see the components get worse every year.

Comment

Working...
                                X