Marshall JMP-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall JMP-1

I had a lot more than one that was problematic duh... What are you 15 years old? Read my posts more then 5 seconds.

They are iffy amps in my book because they are built badly with cheap parts. I have no other reasons as they can actually sound ok. But, when a company charges a fair dollar for something, it shouldn't be crap, and selling crap for that kind of money on a legendary name is a travesty. I realize they aren't that expensive, hence their popularity. But, there are much less expensive amps of better quality.

Get a clue.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I had a lot more than one that was problematic duh... What are you 15 years old? Read my posts more then 5 seconds.

They are iffy amps in my book because they are built badly with cheap parts. I have no other reasons as they can actually sound ok. But, when a company charges a fair dollar for something, it shouldn't be crap, and selling crap for that kind of money on a legendary name is a travesty. I realize they aren't that expensive, hence their popularity. But, there are much less expensive amps of better quality.

Get a clue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your posts don't make any sense and niether does your logic. You still have no real proof that they are less reliable than other amp brands other than the parts look to you like they're cheap meanwhile thousands of artists a year gig all year with no problems.

Amazing.

Keep going...this is funny. You can make statements with no proof here...LOL.

Comment

Well this thread has went its course.... I am done here.

Comment

MD is right on about the quality of the componets values, transformere and build quality of newer marshalls is below average. I have an 83 2203 that is build like a tank, it has killer tone and is reliable. It has dropped off full stacks and half stacks and keeps on tickin. I used and abused thta thing for a lot of years. I'm retired from the giggin but it fires up whenever I want to use it.

Accept must be having NHL withdrawls too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] but vintage Marshalls are REAL amps and are what spawned of companies like VHT (I have one of htose too) and Soldano
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

The thing that I have always wondered about Jim Marshall is, is he really the head of the Quickie Mart?........

Comment

ranalli...Johns posts are about as clear as you can get.
              John has provided you with examples and tangible facts as well as his opinion on tone which we all agree is totally subjective. What is it you don't understand.

I thought Johns logic on Marshall’s popularity were right on.
              People who don't know a thing about guitars even associate Marshall with electric guitar immediately. I tell someone that I play guitar I usually get..."Oh so do ya have a Marshall stack?" As far as your question as to why do so many people "artists" use them then...Well it's been pointed out that they are paid good money and Marshall can afford it since they have been in the business firmly established before most of their recent competition were even born. Also the availability, the legend of the "Marshall Stack" Hendrix is still considered the best guitarist in the world by millions and you can't even argue with them. This keeps them up there but, dude...

They loose their popularity year by year. There was a time when you saw Marshall and that was it. Now you see Marshall less and less. So the poor quality and the fact that other amps are providing guitarist with a tone they like has been showing.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Again, people just aren't getting it.

There are probably a minimum(and I'm being VERY conservative) of a HUNDRED Marshalls out there for every ONE Soldano or VHT or whatever boutique brand you want to name.

That means if ONE HUNDRED Marshalls break down for every ONE boutique brand amp they are considered EQUALLY as reliable....this is statistics and as empirical as you can get.

So unless there are HUNDREDS of Marshalls breakign down everywhere you go not the few here or there or the one in your backyard, I wouldn't go ragging on their reliability.

I've known people with DSL/TSL series amps that have been through TONS of ****...but that's no more statistically significant than what people are talking about here...REGARDLESS OF WHAT COMPONENTS ARE IN THE AMPS. It either breaks down or it doesn't.

And NOBODY here can draw the line from poor Marshall reliability to their loss in popularity. There are more amp choices now than ever and with metal music becoming ever the more brutal Marshall no longer holds the choice in the new generations tones. However this does NOT mean they are crappy amps because there are A) other choices out there or B) people are looking for new tones for a new generation.

I don't see how it can be any more clear than this.

Comment

I met Jim Marshall at the 25th year ann. when the jubilee series came out of business and he was very proud of the fact that he had been not giving his product away to endorsers. he had said that all of his amps were paid for.... I guess that changed with the later years because of competition....

Comment

well, here is a point to ponder...how readily available are ENGL, Soldano, VHT, Bogner, Rivera, Cornford, Budda, Dr. Z, etc. to the regular guitarist? maybe if they were in every store, and every guitarist could play one to try it out, then there would be 100's of them to make an equitable comparison to the 100's of marshall's that ARE readily available.

i understand you empirical argument, but the logic behind is still weak. it's like saying that the fender stratocaster must be the epitome of rock guitars becuase so many pros use them and have used them through history. if that is true about marshall, then it's true about the strat and the les paul....because for every usa jackson there must be 10,000 stratocasters...

while that argument isn't 100% the same as yours, it's very close. here's the fact that i've managed to discern from this thread: you love marshall amps and nothing anyone says here to the contrary (even based on solid fact like build quality/components, personal experience) is going to change that.

i'm glad that marshall kicks ass for you. i just hope you don't spend $1400 on a TSL and have it die the day after the warranty expires (like i did)...cause you could spend $1500 on a "snob" amp with better components and a higher build quality and never have it die...
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

When I drive I dont want to be seen in the same car as everyone else, so I drive a car no one else does. When it comes to tone, I like to be even more different. If you want the same tone as everybody else, and you have no desire to sound different, then Marshall is for you. But the real important lesson here is, Marshall sucks............

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        well, here is a point to ponder...how readily available are ENGL, Soldano, VHT, Bogner, Rivera, Cornford, Budda, Dr. Z, etc. to the regular guitarist? maybe if they were in every store, and every guitarist could play one to try it out, then there would be 100's of them to make an equitable comparison to the 100's of marshall's that ARE readily available.

i understand you empirical argument, but the logic behind is still weak. it's like saying that the fender stratocaster must be the epitome of rock guitars becuase so many pros use them and have used them through history. if that is true about marshall, then it's true about the strat and the les paul....because for every usa jackson there must be 10,000 stratocasters...

while that argument isn't 100% the same as yours, it's very close. here's the fact that i've managed to discern from this thread: you love marshall amps and nothing anyone says here to the contrary (even based on solid fact like build quality/components, personal experience) is going to change that.

i'm glad that marshall kicks ass for you. i just hope you don't spend $1400 on a TSL and have it die the day after the warranty expires (like i did)...cause you could spend $1500 on a "snob" amp with better components and a higher build quality and never have it die...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't worship Marshall amps in any way shape or form like you want to believe and I'm currently dorking around with a Soldano which is great IMO as well.

However, the point I'm trying to make here is that Marshalls don't suck because any number of people here don't like them because in the big picture of amps what myself or you or anyone here owns is insignificant not to mention our tastes since taste is subjective.

The other point is that unless someone has real solid statistic proof that Marshalls break down more than other brands, all we have here is speculation as to their reliability. You can say, "X part is cheaper" but does that translate into more breakdowns compared to other brands necessarily?? Nobody here can tell unless they know how many amps are out there, compared to how many come in for repair.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          When I drive I dont want to be seen in the same car as everyone else, so I drive a car no one else does. When it comes to tone, I like to be even more different. If you want the same tone as everybody else, and you have no desire to sound different, then Marshall is for you. But the real important lesson here is, Marshall sucks............

[/ QUOTE ]

It's good to sound different I agree, but what does sounding different have to do with the quality of the amp?

Comment

OK, I'm gonna throw my two cents in here cause this has been a fairly entertaining thread [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Old Marshalls are great for power, some sound better than others. Almost every player who plays a Marshall has something in front of it to drive it as a pre-amp. This is where much of the "color" comes from. The "power" comes from the amp. Even if you are just running an EQ, you are still getting gain from it and it's acting as a pre-amp.

Compared to old Marshalls, the new ones have a lot to yearn for. The "clipped diode" distortion has started to sound like a Crate and the high saturation just doesn't seem to move as much air as an older Marshall.

25 or 30 years ago, Marshall was it. No question. But today they seem to have lost there sparkle. Just like Strats and Les Pauls used to be the norm, amps have also evolved.

Of course all of this is subjective, actual mileage may vary [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Comment

But the new Marshalls don't use diode clipping.

Comment

Still sounds like a Crate to me

Comment

Working...
                                X