Need to bias my new Marshall Jcm 2000 TSL 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to bias my new Marshall Jcm 2000 TSL 100

Hello, guys. I got a new Jcm 2000 last week and I would like to bias it. I found some instructions on the net, but I feel that they're not discrete enough for me:
    Procedure:
    1. Make sure the amp is connected to a load with the proper impedance selected.
    2. Power up amp on Standby, and let the circuit stabilize for a couple of minutes.
    3. Locate the male three pin molex connector (CON2) with the two mini pots (PR1 and PR2) (located on each side of the molex connector) on both ends found at the bottom of tube bay.
    4. Connect DMM (set to read mV) with alligator leads, reference common lead to center pin (pin2) on molex connector CON2 and positive lead to pin1 on CON2.
    5. Take amp off Standby with no signal, adjust mini-pot (PR1) closest to pin that the positive lead from your DMM is connected to and set it to mV voltage that is listed below.
    6. Repeat steps 4 & 5 for pin3 mV and until pin1 & pin3 mV readings are the same.

Bias Settings:
    DSL50 45 mV TSL 601&602 80 mV
    DSL100 90 mV DSL 401 1.375V
    TSL100/122 90mV DSL201 .675V

Here's a quick bias lesson:
    What you want to do is measure the plate voltage (B+) from pin3 of one of the power tubes. It should measure between 450-500V. Now the max plate dissapation (Pa Max) for EL34s is about 25W. To calculate the correct bias, you want to:
    (Pa Max/B+)(.7) = 38-45mA depending on the exact plate voltage of your amp. Check and adjust via the molex connector and pots from above.

Now, I mostly get the 1st part. If you connect the multi meter to the terminal 1 and 2; 2 and 3, you should (must) get 45mv each, right? Making it a total of 90mv, as described. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Now on to the second part. How exactly can you measure the plate voltage B+ with a multimeter?
    And should I do that, or I just have to adjust the two pots up to the 45 mV and be done with it?
    What about values other than 45mV? Lower than 45 means hotter sound, and higher means colder?
    Here's the pic of the bias thingy:

Thanks a lot, indeed, gentlemen. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Re: Need to bias my new Marshall Jcm 2000 TSL 100

Picture does not work. If you're confused on any part of this, don't do it. You can die if you mess up.

The formula just tells you the divide Pa Max by B+, and multiply that result by .7. You should read in the range specified, or the amp sounds like ass and can some seriously bad things can result.

Comment

I had a thread here on how I biased my TSL100. I used a voltmeter I got from sears. It was pretty simple and took me about 10 minutes. Keep in mind that as you turn the left side up and right side goes down. It just takes some time.

joe...
      www.godwentpunk.com
      www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

I have info here TSL/DSL Bias Info. If it's a TSL100 you should be reading 90mv on your meter at the pins you mentioned above.
        Jerry
        FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Thanks, guys! I'll try that as soon as i get the insulated alligator leads
          I got another amp (now used) yeasterday. Engl Thunder 50. Does anyone know where the bias pot is?

Comment

Of course you'll need the special Marshall biasing tool. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Tsl 100 is not for classic Heavy Metal, is it? They say it's based around the preamp, and the poweramp distortion sucks.

Comment

Working...
              X