Digitech GNX4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digitech GNX4

Has anyone here bought one of these and how is it?
    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Re: Digitech GNX4

Shhhhhhh! Not so loud. Do you want the PUREitans to hear you? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The "tone snobs" would have a field day if they overheard us discussing (gasp!) digital multi-effects processors, but I'll share my experience.

Yes, I have one and I frickin love it! Love it! So much so, that my individual pedals are sitting on top of my amp collecting dust. In fact, I haven't ran a guitar straight through my amp since I got it. Now, I'm a novice guitarist, so suffice it to say that I haven't even scratched the surface of what it's capable of. Hell, even seasoned musicians have barely scratched the surface. Is it overkill for someone like me? Possibly. But, who cares? All that matters is I'm enjoying learning with it.

Now, some details. The factory presets that come with it are pretty cool. Some great, some cheesy. But that's where the fun begins. I began by tweaking some of them into something I liked and then saved them as my own user presets. Creating your own presets from scratch is an adventure all its own.... but rewarding when you create one of the tones you like. Not to mention the hundreds of presets available for download from Digitech's Sound Community as well as Guitar World and Guitar One magazines. The possibilities are virtually endless.

The built-in 8 track recorder is also great. I've recorded one full song and I've got the basic tracks down for another. It'll be completed when I finish learning the solo. What's really useful is the ability to loop your previously recorded tracks and dub over them. The GNX4 has no internal memory, so you have to save your finished product to the CF card, which, BTW, you have to purchase yourself (I thought that was bullsh!t considering what I paid for this thing, but I got over it quickly). Then it's just a matter of importing the tracks into ProTracks via USB and tweak til your hearts content. The built in drum patterns are useful for putting a riff down that you'd like to keep or show off, but I prefer to learn entire songs. So I download backing tracks from websites like Guitars101.com (which is ran by one of our fellow JCF members), save them to the CF card and then play them through the drum machine as MP3s. Hours of fun, boys and girls! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

There's waaaaay too much to this thing to discuss it all here, and like I previously stated, there's so much more for me to learn. If you haven't already, I'd suggest visiting Digitech's Sound Community and see what other users have to say about it. You'll hear the good and the bad. Check out all the music created with it that has been submitted by users as well as the presets (a lot of them have sample clips to listen to).

Hope this helps! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

MHalsey I have an older RP 2000 wich I have been leaning towards a GNX4 thanks for the input, I'm gonna test it out at my Local GC soon.
      According To The Prophecy

Comment

Kewl beans! I don't think you'll be disappointed. There's a civilian who works in my squadron who also has the RP2000 but has had lotsa problems with it for the past year. He came over and checked out my GNX4, fell in love with it and will soon be getting one himself. I purchased mine on ebay and got it a lil' cheaper than anywhere else I could find. Have fun checking it out! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey thanks again I've been a big fan of Digitechs for years. I'm sure i won't be disapointed. Will be cool to have the Recorder on it, with a drum trac aswell since I'm getting into recording on my PC now... [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          According To The Prophecy

Comment

Anyone try using one of these with a Mac? I know Digitech includes some kind of Mac software (BiasDeck SE, as opposed to Pro Tracks for Windows users), but that's often an afterthought. Anyone know how it is in this case? Thanks!

Comment

Mark, are the drums just pre-recorded patterns or can you actually program your own beats into it?
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Anyone try using one of these with a Mac? I know Digitech includes some kind of Mac software (BiasDeck SE, as opposed to Pro Tracks for Windows users), but that's often an afterthought. Anyone know how it is in this case? Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it comes with the BiasDeck SE software for MAC users.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Mark, are the drums just pre-recorded patterns or can you actually program your own beats into it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The drums actually stored on the GNX4 are pre-recorded patterns but I think you can open them up in ProTools, edit them, and then save them as MIDI or MP3s on your PC or the CF card used in the GNX4. I haven't tried editing any of the patterns. I just messed around with creating one from scratch in ProTools. Pretty cool but a lot of work compared to some of the external drum machines out there with pads. I'll check it out for ya later this evening.

Comment

Well, I checked it out. The only editing you can perform on the internal drum patterns is changing the tempo and drum kit used via the GNX4's control panel. It has some good patterns, though. And, of course, there's always the option of creating drum tracks via ProTracks (I mistakenly called it ProTools previously) or other program/stand-alone drum machine and exporting them to the CF card as MIDI or MP3s and using them through the built-in drum machine. That's what I do with backing tracks that I download and use.

Comment

Cool. Thanks! I've really been thinking about getting a new floor processor to replace my old DOD GS30, and the recording features of the Digitech look cool.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I don't think you'll be disappointed. Yeah, the built-in recorder is kinda the selling point for most folks. Not to mention that you can get them for a lot less now (around $100 less) PLUS I think they may still be offering the footswitch for free with it.

Comment

How does the GNX4 compare to the GNX3? I'm seriously thinking of getting one of these bad boys, but I'm not sure which yet. Is the GNX4 worth the extra $100?

Comment

The 4 has been going for 450.00 sometimes lower lightly used on eBay lately if you shop for a quick BIN.
                            I personally would opt for the 4, but as with most modelers.. I would shop the lightly used.

Comment

GNX4, GNX2000

Hold the phone. New GNX coming (GNX2000). CHECK IT OUT.
                              From what I've read in the Digitech forums, this is essentially a GNX4 without the 8 track recorder built in (guess they've moved that function into software, on the computer side, which makes sense, as it should allow for WYSIWYG control interfaces, with knobs, etc.). $200 cheaper, too. Looks like a winner, though Mac compatibility is a major concern for me. Think I'm gonna wait a bit on this, and see how this new one stacks up. [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X