Worst amp you've ever heard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Worst amp you\'ve ever heard

Jesus Christ, where do I begin? Just about every amp manufacturer has put out it's lemon(with the exception of VHT, Bogner, Soldano, etc...). Honestly there isn't one amp in your average GC that I would play right now. Good amps are few and far between.

Comment

I understand everything except the peavey bandit hating?? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] the clean channel obviously won't sound like a tube amp but the gain/crunch was awesome in that thing!
      (I'm talking about the original Bandit 112 not the transtube stuff.)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        Even the Rectifier setting sounds like a Fender.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's better than sounding like a Rectifier [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bite me.
        Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I understand everything except the peavey bandit hating?? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] the clean channel obviously won't sound like a tube amp but the gain/crunch was awesome in that thing!
          (I'm talking about the original Bandit 112 not the transtube stuff.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? I had a Bandit 112, and while it was alright for farting around in my bedroom, that was where it's usefullness ended. There was no way in hell I could get a useable live guitar tone outta that thing.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I understand everything except the peavey bandit hating?? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] the clean channel obviously won't sound like a tube amp but the gain/crunch was awesome in that thing! (I'm talking about the original Bandit 112 not the transtube stuff.)

[/ QUOTE ]The "original" Bandit was the Bandit 65, made in the very early 80s. I guess some bad ones may have gone out, and they aren't as nice as later versions, but at the time they were a big step up in solid state distortion sound.And I think the Transtube Bandits sound great, what don't you like about them?
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

anything marshall.....yea right. i love my marshall. haha ive actually gotten great tones out of a crate gt1200 half stack before, and i do like some newer crates. anyway i guess the worst shit amps ive ever heard are the first acts, ravens, rogues, kustom, and on the higher end of the spectrum, the peavey supreme, xxx (all gain, no balls), the marshall jcm600, and i HATE those awful kranks. buzzy and shitty. buy one, youre automatically an industrial grind core or whatever core metal guitarist. but again, im not trash talking anybody, because we all have a right to our opinions, but tone is subjective and everybody bashing on crate probably never ran any kind of effects processor or even stompboxes through em. anybody who has one that they hate, try this..... drop the gain way back, to around 9 o clock, then run a nice sweet sounding distortion box into it. t/s full drive, route 66, take your pick. i promise itll take on a new character
              Let me tell you about a porcupine's balls.... They're small, and they don't give a shit!

Comment

I regretfully bought a Marshall MA100H about 2 years ago. Total piece of shit. Worst tube Marshall ever.
                "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Well, threadsurection or not, I like the question. Ill start by saying that the Kranks are ok in drop C, but in standard or drop D, horrid. Ive never had a head that Ive absolutely hated, but many a combo that was useless for anything other than pissing off everyone in the house. That said, if I had to choose 1 head Ive owned that I regretted almost immediately, it would be the Krankenstein, though I tried very hard to like it. As far as a head Ive never owned, well visit the first of this thread and continue the BV/SH BV bashing and I dont care at all for the DSL(the TSL was a great head except in the studio).
                  HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

while maybe not the "worst" (though pretty close fro my tastes), personally, i have HATED every soldano product, barring my X88R, that i have owned. SLO-100 sounded like a huge buzz box to me...my yamaha T100 was a lifeless, brittle waste of money...my SP77 was crappy sounding no matter HOW i set the controls. people think i am nuts, but i just do not like the soldano sound.

another amp that makes me want to vomit everytime i play it is the 5150 - which i guess makes sense since it is a soldano rip-off (sort of).

hmmmm, the WORST amp i have ever heard though, and this really was the WORST, was a fender "zodiac" series solid state amp from the '60s. i am a bit of a '60s fender amp collector - brownface, blackface, silverface - and i was at a guitar show looking for one. this guy was telling about this amp he had - a first generation fender solid state. i knew the amps had a bad rep, but i figured i'd pick it up for collectibility purposes....

well, once i plugged into it and started playing, it became evident that '60s solid state technology was NOT about tone!!! i may as well have plugged into a transistor radio. not a single note sounded remotely pleasant. in fact, my ears were so traumatized i thought about charging the guy for abusing me!!!

after playing that turd, everything solid state peavey ever put out sounded like a tone-monster!!!!
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I've got an original Carvin XV112E (X100?) combo, that in the 20+ years I've owned it, I have never been able to get a good tone out of. The clean is great, but the overdrive is just farty and mushy. No, I don't know why I still have it, lol!

Comment

Peavey Bandit 30 Muddy as hell! I'm still using a Crate GFX212 120, but on it's clear chanel I run all my effects through a Digitech.
                        According To The Prophecy

Comment

A really loud Line 6 Spider 3 1 x 12 combo at a local open mic night. It sounded like a Craftsman Chainsaw. Brutalz horrible high gain tone that drove most of the people there to go outside.

Comment

hahaha, sometimes we get stuck having young bands open for us when we headline, and quite often they are using line 6 heads that sound exactly as you described!!!! those are pretty yucky....
                            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Gorilla practice amp.
                              I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

How about a BC Rich amp? Tis made of acrylic
                                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                                X