Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hahahaha, never seen that one!!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Tiny thing, but bigger than those novelty tiny Marshall stacks. In illuminous yellow too. I had one late-80's with some distortion pedal I can't remember. No bass, just tons of treble .
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Scholz Rockmans were cool as long as you kept them at home. Rockmans were sorta like that cliche about mopeds and fat chicks But I'm sure I'm not the only guy who had to learn the hard way that no matter what you played it through, it sounded awful live.

Comment

My first bigger amp was a Peavey Special 130. It was bad. no good sounds at all, but a big dissapointment for me was Marshall. I had and Original Marshall Slash sig half stack. It sounded thin and had NO balls at all. Clean sucked, dirty sucked.I got rid of it pretty quick. I really wanted to like it, but just could not. I have played Mesas most of my life, but I had a Tremoverb once and I did not like the dirty channel either. Clean was great, but Im not a fan of the Recto tone.
          H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

I haven't played that many bad sounding amps I guess. Nothing I would consider "worst sounding" but I'm sure there were plenty out there! It seems like amps have come a long way, for the money, for the whippersnappers these days.

When I got my first part time job as a high schooler I saved up the cash to buy a Boogie Mk3 half stack. I used that for years and it did sound good. I probably didn't know how to tweak it worth a shit but I always found that the louder I got, the worse my tone got too. It was kind of disappointing. To the point where I started looking into Marshall, which is what I always really wanted anyway. Once I got one, a 50W Jubilee, it was all over for the Boogie. Traded for another Jubilee half stack. Finally loud was good, the louder the better lol.

Eventually I started wanting a 100W Jub, as all I had were 50s. I just missed a nice deal on a beat up one and kept looking. I checked ECMM and they didn't have any, but the nice red-headed balding man that worked sales had a brand new one, in the form of the new JCM Slash. Sold!

It was a pretty decent sounding head, but not like the 50s I had. It was just missing something. At the time I was using rack effects so that helped make up for its shortcomings. I used that amp for a few years til I lost it in a deal with a "friend". Said friend was insanely jealous the moment he heard my new amp, a 50W JCM800. That amp is the best amp I've ever played, bar none, and is my baby. I'd like a 100W 2210 though lol!

So I guess the JCM Slash would be my "worst" amp. It probably just needed different tubes and rebiasing, I don't know, but as it was that amp was a huge disappointment.

Comment

A Fender M80 Chorus was the worst I ever played. that fucker was sonic garbage. uglier than sin too. light grey fuzzy covering with red knobs. no matter what I did with it, I could not get even an acceptable sound out of it. total shit. the worst gain channel ever in the history of amps. I got in a package trade deal. funny part was, it was practically new, and a friend of mine told a buddy of his about it. the guy called me up, and wanted it. he nearly broke his fingers trying to get the money out of his wallet fast enough to pay for it. I couldnt believe I was able to even sell it. that guy loved it and played it for years. one mans junk is another's treasure.

another I played that was not good was a Marshall JCM2000 TSL. that is a total let down. it really sucked. Glad I didnt own it.
              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

what do people hate about the TSL? i actually like them. granted, i have only played them in the store when i am testing guitars, but i can get a decent sound out them pretty quick....
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I love my TSL100, and have for ten years now. I get compliments on the sounds I get pretty often. The other guitarist in my band hates Marshalls, but loves my sound.

Never understood all the hate.

Comment

Somekind of Kustom piece of a shit, Ibanez Valbee sounded pretty horrible too, despite the fact that it's labeled as super duper high gain tube practice amp. Sounded like shit, period.

Comment

Now I wouldn't rag on a 70's Peavey deuce 2X12.I have one and its a great amp 4 6L6's and loud as a mofo.Takes pedals very well.
                      The trick is run thru the normal channel any of the effects channels no.
                      I did a studio thing last week and the engineer said what amps you got? I gave him a run down on what I had and he said bring the Peavey please I love to record with those.
                      Something about the frequency he liked, said it was very easy to record and blend.I know jack about recording but he sure does.
                      The worst I ever had was a Peavey 5150 combo.Couldn't get rid of it fast enough.
                      Crate bashing I'm guilty of that too, but I have a 6V6 Lee Jackson designed 50 watt Crate Stealth head and it is sweet.Cleans sparkle and two gains for each channel a very good amp.
                      Last edited by straycat; 04-04-2012, 10:35 AM.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                        what do people hate about the TSL? i actually like them. granted, i have only played them in the store when i am testing guitars, but i can get a decent sound out them pretty quick....
                        I have no problem with my TSL. I think the problem most people might have with them is if they push the gain past 6 or 7. At that point, the amp seams to get "Buzzy" to me. I don't think its a high gain monster, but is very suitable for 80's type tones. I have tried mine with pedals in front and a digitech GSP1101 in the loop and always go back to guitar to cord to amp (I use the reverb, but its nothing incredible).

Comment

First and worst amp was a DOD Grind solidstate. Put the B in Buzz. And Bad.
                          "We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer. "
                          Zakk Wylde

Comment

I have tried several JCM2000 TSLs and they both sucked. I am not anti marshall either. I have a marshall rack setup. JMP-1 and a EL34 50/50 poweramp. sounds great. but those TSLs I played were just........blouuuuugggghhh....... about as exciting as cold oatmeal on a cloudy day. I toyed with them for hours. hours. No matter what I did I could not get them to get a tone that really flipped my lid. I dont know why. they just didnt sound good. very buzzy and just shitty sounding.

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                              I have tried several JCM2000 TSLs and they both sucked.
                              So two is several?

I've tried DSL's and been able to get good tones from them myself.
                              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                                So two is several?

I've tried DSL's and been able to get good tones from them myself.
                                First Ron with the spelling and grammar, now you with this.

Comment

Working...
                                X