help me pick a preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me pick a preamp

I am getting Toru's VHT 2150 and would like to pick a decent preamp out. I see the Soldano SP77's go for about $400 or so. How are they?

For effects I've got the Echo, Modulation, and Filter Pro rack units from Line 6 and will be getting an Eventide Eclipse as soon as I can save up some more money.

Suggestions?
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Re: help me pick a preamp

Get a Bogner Fish.

Comment

what do you play? genre/bands/style etc

Comment

Dont get a Marshall..... LOL. Had to say it!

LMAO!

Comment

Shhhhhh! [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Comment

<font color="yellow">Yeah, you can't say the "M" word [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] or people get all kinda fruity [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

Bogner Fish...

Congratts on the 2150. Toru had a good price and I thought about doing the (homo) rack thing but then figured I'd spend 1500-2000 on a pre for it, then figured... for the pre and power amp I'd be in the price range of an XTC 101B head which I'd rather have..I'm old school
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

LOL! That is my exact thought process everytime I think about building a (homo) rack!

Comment

You girlie men and your easy to carry heads!

Manly men have racks! And ummm, bad backs.

Comment

digitech 2120 bro [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                    "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Seriously though, what style of music are you wanting to do with it? That means a lot.

Try your POD through it and see what you think, you might go that way.

Comment

I like to play a lot of stuff.

I played in typical metal bands for a long time but I am into way more than that.

The last cover band I was in played Priest, Sabbath, Ratt, Metallica, Annihilator, Queensryche, Kansas, Boston, etc.

The last band I was in was a mediocre pop/rock band - I handled that with my Dr. Z and a tube distortion pedal.

A great clean tone is an absolute must. I like a little gain, a lot of gain, and most everything in between. I like a dirty tone that cleans up well when I back off the volume. I like the amp to be very touch sensitive.

The one thing I'm not a fan of is the Boogie rectifier tone - the rhythm tones are fine I suppose but the lead tones are not my cup of tea at all.

I've got a PODxt so I'll try that.

- Newc

Comment

ADA MP-1
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I have heard good things about the Carvin TN100 Tone Navigator. It was developed with Frank Gambale. The USA made Soldano SP77 is also supposed to be pretty nice although I have never heard one. I like the Carvin Quad X myself.

Comment

I'm leaning towards the SP77 for starters.

The Bogner Fish goes for near $2k - yikes!

The Tone Navigator has effects which I don't really want plus it doesn't appear to be tube based.

I'd give the Carvin Quad a shot because of their trial period but they don't seem to sell them anymore.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X