help me pick a preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: help me pick a preamp

The soldano is better IMHO for high gain than the mesa studio or quad. I messed with a triaxis at a music store once, wasn't super impressed with it. I think the SP77 is a bargain even for $400ish.

Pete

Comment

I agree with the Soldano. I also like the ADA MP-1. I used one during the late 80's thru early 90's. Every once in a while I'll hook it up and it sounds good still. For me, it needs the old chinese tubes with shrink wrap around them for tight chunk. (call me crazy)

Comment

Jazzman just reminded me... go to www.voodooamps.com - check out the clips of the modded MP-1s. They charge $495 for one, or do the mods for $295 if you provide one. That might be a great way to go.

Pete

Comment

i have a peavey rockmaster... and love it.. best... 150 dollars i spent on a amp.. granted, i dont have a tube power amp yet..but it still sounds amazing.. (to my ears)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I want tubes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tim -

My buddy is a total amp slut....he's got a drool worthy setup, but is also a guitar slut....that said - he's got a Bogner Fish he would probably let go of for a cash + guitar deal....I know you've got a couple of sweethearts lurking in yer stable...p.m. me for contact info if interested.

p.s. - the Fish just came back from Bogner after it's 50k mile tuneup [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Sounds insane....

Steve E

Comment

If I was going to go rack...which I'm not....yet....I'd go straight to a Bogner Fish w/a 2150 VHT power amp. I went through so many amps to find my XTC and I'll never look back....worth every dime.

Comment

If I was going to go rack...which I'm not....yet....

speedmonkey...tell your buddy I'll give him a mint 2002 SL2H , Lightning Sky and a mint Vertical 2x12 Mesa cab with either V30's or Greenbacks in it for his Fish if it's in good shape.

Now who's the slut... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]....unless hippietim wants it of course [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

What about the Tech 21 PSA-1? I know you said tube, but from what I hear it's a pretty versitile and great preamp. Pretty cheap too, round $600 new

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Jazzman just reminded me... go to www.voodooamps.com - check out the clips of the modded MP-1s. They charge $495 for one, or do the mods for $295 if you provide one. That might be a great way to go.

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]
                    I have a VHT 2150 with a ADA MP-1 in front of it. I am going to get it modded by VoodooAmps when I get the $. It is an AWESOME sounding metal preamp, but I haven't found it to be the greatest for clean tones. I have it dialed in to my one death metal sound, and it rocks for that. It's also pretty noisy, that's half the reason I want it modded. Best of all I only paid $100 for the preamp.

For sheer balls though, I sure can't complain!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Steve - PM sent.

Tooling - step away from the Fish. You don't want the Fish. You want a solid state Crate. Bogner is bad. You want a Roland Jazz Chorus. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

IrfaanSE801 - I dunno about the PSA. I like some of their stuff but I really don't want emulated tube tone - I've got emulators coming out my ears - VG-8EX, VG-88, PODxt, Vetta II, Roland GS-10.

Ace - I've heard good things about the MP-1 drive tones but you're not the first to say the clean tones are lacking. I need a good clean tone. And I'm not talking about that thin 80's Def-Leppard-power-ballad-Rockman-clean tone.

This place is great. Keep the suggestions comin'!
                      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

The clean tones sound like absolute sh!t. I'd sooner plug straight into a PA. However, it sounds like you have plenty of gear to give you clean tones. I switch amps for clean tones. If you have a clean preamp you like, you can run both that and an MP-1 into your 2150. You can either use the two channels, or bring the two singals back together with an A/B box facing the "other way", as in two inputs and one output. I have never played the SP77, but I like the tone from my MP-1 much better than a Triaxis, or any of the Boogie stuff.

Comment

I'm running a Sansamp PSA-1 through my VHT 2/90/2. Sounds like Heaven's arrived when I play through it. It has many, many presets and user spaces, you can use it with ANY style of music. It's all there in 49 presets to start. Some say it's been around a long time (so is the "Echoplex")and it's dated, but they are reliable and don't seem dated to me. You can get 'em new for around $495. My effects, a G-Major is looped through it and the PSA-1 is MIDI switchable. [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Steve - PM sent.

Tooling - step away from the Fish. You don't want the Fish. You want a solid state Crate. Bogner is bad. You want a Roland Jazz Chorus. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Damned hippie..... [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Well the rack is almost formed up.
                              <ul type="square">[*]VHT 2150[*]Line 6 Echo Pro rack modeler[*]Line 6 Filter Pro rack modeler[*]Line 6 Modulation Pro rack modeler[*]Eventide Eclipse coming very soon...[/list]

I'm getting stoke. I've never had a rack setup before. This is gonna be fun.
                              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

What about the Fish [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X