mesa players lead or contour mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mesa players lead or contour mode

just wondering which you prefer the lead or contour mode .Ive got a subway rocket and i like the gain boost you get with the contour mode but it gets a little shrill the lead mode is darker and crunchier i tend to use the lead mode most of the time

Re: mesa players lead or contour mode

anybody

Comment

I had a Mesa triaxis and the 2:90 poweramp. To me I could never get it to not sound shrill. Very farty mushy bottom end and way to bright and thin highs. Ther was never a happy medium with it. I had it for years and thank God a friend of mine steared me away from Mesa. Im not knocking what you have just telling you that that shrill is the Mesa tone.

Comment

I don't have a Lead or Contour switch on my Mesa/Boogie DC-5 but isnt it just a mid boost? I do have the footswitchable 5 band EQ but I leave that on all the time in the lead channel and 1/2 the time on the clean channel.
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

actually its like a mid cut with a bass and trebel boost it gives you a good thrash metal sound but it is a little on the bright side maybe ill try a eq in the effects loop

Comment

I love the Contour mode on channel 2 on my F-30 combo. Mesa claims it's a preset eq that boosts the gain, treble and bass and cuts the mids at the same time (it's supposed to pretty much be like the old 5-band eqs on the DC models set in the V position). The normal mode of channel 2 is darker and warmer, but the Contour mode I like better, and it doesn't seem to be shrill or have too much high end, IMO.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

what settings are you using on the tone

Comment

Most of the time... treble 6, mid 5, bass 4. I've always found Mesas to be a little dark and sometimes muddy sounding, and this setting works well for me.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i will play around with the settings that you are using. in my original post i probably shouldnt have said shrill, maybe overly bright is more like it

Comment

Working...
                  X