Tubes for MESA Rect-o-verb Version 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubes for MESA Rect-o-verb Version 1

Hi, I recently purchased a MESA Rect-o-verb Version 1 off of eBay and would like to change the tubes in it since I don't know how old they are. The amp sounds good, so the tubes probably don't need replacing, but just in case ...

Anyway, the power tubes are 6L6 GC STR 420 ... when I went to the MESA Yahoo! store, all they had were 6L6 GC STR 430, 6L6 GC STR-427 Chinese, and 6L6 GC STR-454. Are these the same tubes or do I specifically need to find the 420 ones?

The preamp tubes are MESA STR 12AX7-A. At the MESA Yahoo! store, there are 12AX7-A ECC83 Sovtek Russian 2, STR SPAX7-A, and 12AT7.

I'm thinking I need to get the 6L6 GC STR 420 and the STR 12AX7-A (but not sure where to find these), or maybe the 6L6 GC STR 430 and the 12AX7 Sovtek ones.

And then, of course, there's the whole debate on which tubes are best, so should I even replace the current tubes with MESA tubes? I know the amp does not have to and cannot be biased, and since this is version 1, there's no tube selector switch on the back, so I'm kind of limited to what tubes I can use. I like the sound I'm getting out of the amp, so I'm really not interested in experimenting with tone ... just want to find the right tubes.

Thanks a bunch!

--Dan
    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Re: Tubes for MESA Rect-o-verb Version 1

You can call Mesa and discuss the options with them. They are very knowledgeable and will tell you everything you need to know. I just spoke to them last week and they still had some 420's left. Hope this helps.

Comment

e mail bob at eurotubes.com and he will tell you exactly what tubes you need.they will be jj tubes but they are great tubes and will be cheaper than mesa tubes and higher quality

Comment

i agree with Blue bullet on this one.

i just replaced mine with JJ's from eurotubes and was quite pleased. the guy on the phone was very helpful and was happy to disscuss everything about my amp as well as the style and sound i was looking for.
        ~JW
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Thanks. So, I guess the 420 and 430 are different. What does that mean exactly? I looked at the JJ tubes. I'll give eurotubes a call and see if they can help.

Any more input?

Comment

i like the 430's over the 420's personnaly. but i'd go with eurotubes over all the rest. higher quality and better quality control wins me over everytime. plus they can replace a matached quortet with the exact same specs next time you need to replace your powertubes.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Hey, I checked out eurotubes.com and was impressed at the way they actually have full sets for sell. I picked this for my rectoverb:

6L6GC / High Gain Option

Desc : The deep thump of mathced pair of the JJ 6L6GC's along with 5 JJ ECC83S's, 3 hand picked high gain tubes for V1, V2 & V3 and balanced PI tube for V5. A nice combination for a deep low end with a crisp attack, a sparkling clean and a thick lead tone.

The salesman was extremely helpful. Highly recommended. I'll let you know how they sound when I get them.

Comment

Tube update

Got my tubes in and must say they rock! Very smooth sounding, warm tone ... nice bright clean as well. I can't say how JJ tubes compare to other tubes, because other than the ones that came with my Rectoverb, I've never played other tubes; however, for the money and the convenience, the tubes are great. And eurotubes.com was very quick to process my order and ship them to me. Highly recommended!

--Dan

Comment

Working...
                X