Jamming with PODs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamming with PODs

The other night, at a gas station 2 blocks from my house, I ran into someone I used to be in a band with. Ends up he's been writing tunes with someone I grew up with. They jam 2 streets away. Anyway, the setup was V drums, PODxt, and a bass POD. I went home and got my POD 2.0. We had a nice jam. I was impressed at how good it sounded. I'm used to playing through real amps cranked up. The whole thing was pretty cool.

Re: Jamming with PODs

I agree. Personally, I think POD's get unfairly disrespected. The common "wisdom" goes:

1. "They suck through an amp."

Mine doesn't. My 2.3 sounds outstanding through my Marshall 2210 halfstack.

2. "They don't really sound like the amps they emulate."

Good point. Next time I want to sit around and wank, I'll have my roadies lug my $380,000.00 in boutique and vintage amps to the living room.

The biggest thing I've found is that the POD is intense as far as capabilities go. It's like a major software application; most people will only use 10% of its capabilities. I use almost nothing but Modern Hi-Gain, POD Clean, Reverb, Delay, and Chorus.
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

not to open the modeler debate again but they have their place in the world. They are a awesome tool and are great for some things and not so great for others. For quick records, practicing etc they rule, for live they need to come a long ways imho. Attack, responsiveness, warmth and feel they lack live...too sterile for my ears
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

One of my guitar students does the same thing. V-Drums and Pods into a mixer with the outs from the mixer going to a headphone splitter and a computer. They all wear headphones and sit in a circle. He says it sounds fantastic and they record every single writing session from beginning to end on hard disk. They also can rehearse and write at any time day or night because it is completely silent.

Comment

Same here, my band is all direct into a mixer then out to a headphone amps. I actually have a 6 aux mixer so I can give each person their own mix but it works better to have one over all mix. Lets you see how you sond in your "pocket" Saves the hearing and keeps the wife happy. I have done several gigs going all direct. Sooo easy to get a good mix in a small space.

Comment

I use my V-amp2 for jamming and it's great, I don't get some poeple's digiatal hangup. If it's good enough for Edguy to tour with it's good enough for me.

Yes, I know this is a POD thread but the V-amp's pretty close.
            I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

My V amp 2 has saved my tube life since I don't have to warm up my head every time I get the urge to noodle. As far as I'm concerned it just makes good sense to spend a couple hundred on one for practice, writing or just messing around. It will save you the money on tubes. Say, 4 tubes every 6 months = 2 - 3 hundred $ per year right?
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Working...
              X