Recto or Genz Benz 4x12?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recto or Genz Benz 4x12?

As soon as the guy who bought my amp gives me the last bit he owes me, im going to pick up an Engl Fireball from Rocksolidamps. Which would be the best 4x12 to put it on top of? The Rectifier standard 4x12, oversized or whatever. Or the Genz Benz G-flex 4x12? I had a GB 2x12 and thought it was cool, would the 4x12 be a bottom end monsdter? Im planning on using this rig for hardrock, heavey metal, and beyond. lol. I want good highs and mids but crushing bottom end, to get that boom sound while palm muting. Also I want reliability and ruggedness. I want something that will work like it did when I bought it, 5 years from now. I play metallica, slayer, pantera, creed, POD, van halen, megadeth and other metal stuff, but also would use it if I started playing for my church. Im stuck between these two cabs. Help me out someone. thanks

Re: Recto or Genz Benz 4x12?

The Mesa is a heavy bitch, that's for sure.

Shawn
    Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Weight or sound wise? Id put wheels on any 4x12 cab I got just to make things easier. I wouldnt be doing a gig like every other day or nothing but it wouldnt be sitting at home all the time either.

Comment

The mesa is built extremely well. It has wheels on it. The wheels are top notch and have a slider/lock system on them to remve them if you want to stack them too. They are not thet heavy. i lft mine and put it on top of another 4x12 with no problem. It is a little big and awkward to lift but not terrible. I love the sound of it and I personally think a boogie cab will hold its value better than the GB...

Comment

Well I dont ever plan on selling it but thats good to know anyways. The Boogie cabs are just so expensive though. My local shop quoted me like $700 for one. Which I wouldnt mind but between buying 2 USA Jacksons and the amp that puts me on a tight budget. lol. How about the sound of Mesas? Clear and crisp and crushing low end?

Comment

The oversize Mesa is a monster. Personally, I think it is a large and way too expensive but worth every penny of it. I would go for the Mesa.

Comment

Thats what it is looking like. I wish I could get a better deal on a new one, but the guy that owns the shop usually lets me pay stuff off so that helps a bit.

Comment

is $700 for a new one not bad?

Comment

That is the going price. A buddy of mine just bought one and East Coast Music Mall included a road case for it that makes the cabinet so big and heavy you need 2 people and a truck or van to carry it. It sounds great though. I personally like 2 x 12 cabinets. They sound tighter, they are easier to transport and they are more flexible.

Comment

I would go for the Mesa, too.
                    Personally, I hate Genz Benz cabinets. Every one I've heard, both 2x12 and 4x12 sound dead. Heavy on the thud, but no air, no life to them. Just thud. Bleech.

Comment

We just bought in two Mesa Recto cabinets, a straight front and a slant...I'm really thinking about putting the slant on layaway when it becomes available, we got it for a good price...

Comment

buy used and save money. I'd go for the Mesa standard too over the Benz
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

I think you should try it with the ENGL Vintage 4x12 cabinet too before you decide...it's expensive but a lot of people have said those sound best with ENGL amps!

Comment

Yeah im trying to put this whole halfstack together for under $2000. When ya throw on the two guitars and the halfstack that is serious money, thats more than Ive spent on gear in my whole life. Its because I went so long without buying a guitar. I need to buy at least 1 a year, if I dont this is what happens. I might try and talk him down a little on the Mesa. I guess its the Mesa. They are pretty quality gear, Ive owned two Mesa amps and think they are pretty good quality. Plus I think the Mesa cabs look cool. I dont know what it is about them but they look cool. I wish I could get the diamond plated one lol. That has to weigh like 150 lbs. but looks killer. I cant wait to rip through a halfstack, im getting kind of pumped and ready to shred. i havent played through an amp in like a year, im dying!!! having electric guitars and no amp should be illegal, but i did it anyway. Id love to pick up a good used Mesa in great shape but it isnt too easy finding them. Anyone got one they want to sell that is in great shape? I totally want the slanted one though, think it looks cooler.

Comment

eBay dude [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Seriously in the past couple months I bought a Mesa DC-5, Mesa 1x12, VHT Pittbull, Bogner 4x12 and just this past weekend a Bogner XTC 101B and a Soldano 4x12 ;
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                              X