How do I bias my amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I bias my amp?

When it comes time to get new powertubes for my Framus Cobra, I'd like to try biasing the amp myself. What equipment do I need? Is there something to plug into the tube sockets? I know my amp has a trim pot inside for biasing. Anyone have step by step instructions? Thanks! The only info I've received from other useless forums is "buy a probe and do it yourself!".

Re: How do I bias my amp?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

I need to get me one of these. As for the procedure, someone posted it here last week. I'm sure a search will turn something up.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Cool. Thanks!

Comment

Tell it that it is superior to other amps, and that all its problems are due to all the inferior amps fukking things up. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Sorry, I had to say it!
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Tell it that it is superior to other amps, and that all its problems are due to all the inferior amps fukking things up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I guess I've already properly biased my amp and didn't even know it.

Comment

Chances are, if you need to ask that question, you better not try it yourself.
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I already told my amp it has mojo, so that's the first step in getting it biased.

Comment

C'mon... Everyone doesn't need to take an amp in for biasing. With a volt meter, common sense one should be able to do it. Are there any sites that list this process in a step by step procedure for the various amp heads.
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

I would also like to know how to do it, myself.

Comment

There is something here http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-i.htm#4.
                    But my English is bad, so I don't understand it completely.
                    Could somone post more links or tell how it is done.
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

The entire Geofex site is cool, but this is useful re: bias -

http://www.geofex.com/tubeampfaq/TUBEFAQ.htm#bias

Keith
                      The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Well, if your amp has an adjustable bias pot in it, then it makes it pretty easy. Just get a bias probe and measure it with a voltmeter. Usually with trim pots, the manufacturer sets up a bias range so that you can pretty much do it by ear. That still doesn't meen to turn the pot all the way to one extreme and not harm the tubes. If I were you, I would do it by ear, but still look up an aceptable range to go by, depending what tube types you have. That's what it is all about as far as biasing with a trim pot, to me.

Comment

Working...
                        X