so i just bought a new amp...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so i just bought a new amp...

he folks, good news. i just scored a boogie Dual Caliber head (ebay). i saw that auction, did some research, and went for it (nice deal btw)....and what's even better: i'll recieve the amp tomorrow evening (although the seller lives pretty far away from here, he has some business to do in my city, so we dont have to ship the amp).....dammit, i cant wait [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

but i'm pretty sure there will be some serious tweaking action the next week(s) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] it's got the graphic eq btw. any ideas how to start? afaik those older boogies have pre-preamp tone controls, so the bass has to be set fairly low, right? and the basic "V" curve is said to work really well, isn't it? any further ideas how to get a good (somewhat old metallica-esque, or dream theater) sound?

feature-wise, it definitely fills the bill. 2 channels (3, if you count the footswitchable graphic eq....no wait, four, but the push option on the rhythm channel isnt footswitchable), good cleans, and obviously pretty american sounding gain. btw, my main sound is actually not THAT distorted, so i dont think a lack of gain could be an issue.

greets
    fragle

Re: so i just bought a new amp...

Congratulations welcome to the Mesa world...cool amps is it DC-3 or DC-5?

Go to http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/user_manuals.htm and download the pdf manual, the one for my DC-5 has some cool tips. They are very tweakable and you can go from great to ass with turn of one dial [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Experiment and use your ears and don't really concern yourself with the numbers on the dials, tweak your tone to your ears [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I have the 5 band EQ on mine and its on all the in the lead channel.

Pretty versatile and very underrated amps if ya ask me. I really like mine and couldn't believe I went so long without checking them out.

Heres mine
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Re: so i just bought a new amp...

hi

i just recieved the amp. it MAY be the excitement of having a new amp...BUT i can EXACTLY remember plugging into amps TWICE and more expensive than this one....and the friggin DC 5 CRUSHES them...judging only by my first impression. it's pretty late now (at least too late for some high volume jamming), so i all i was able to do is checking the settings listed in the manual....and whoa....great.
      btw, the amp is in a really good condition. just minor scratches on the tolex etc...but stuff like that is normal. i'm no amp tech so i cant comment on the electronics, but well...everything works so far lol.
      this little amp is easily twice as complete as my old laney head, thats for sure. very old-school mesa boogie sounding, nothing like the rectifiers, more old metallica style gain.....speaking of gain: for rhythm, it's already too gainy for my taste with the gain knob turned to 6....6 out of 10...unbelievable.
      the only thing i dislike so far is that it isn't very dynamic. it didnt clean up very well with the volume pot on my guitar. this is only the case with the lead channel, though.

one question: i'm running a single 412 cabinet set to 4ohms. does it matter which of the two 4 ohm jacks i use? furthermore, my cab can be used in stereo, with 150w per side running at 8 ohm each. does that mean that i'm able to switch to stereo, and use only the for example left side (8ohms) into the 8 ohm jack? so basically running the cab at 8 ohms with only half the cab running

greets
      fragle

Comment

Working...
      X