Amps you miss.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amps you miss.....

So, right now I've got a Bogner XTC 101b, a Bogner Metropolis and an Aiken Sabre thats a recent addition...jobs (or lack of..) and finances have determined either the Sabre or the 101b is going to have to go ( the Metro is spoken for too...)...I'm leaning towards keeping the Sabre - incredible amp.

Anyway - I got to thinking about all the woulda / shoulda / coulda's with my gear history and thought about amps I sold that I miss. The one I came up with that I totally miss is my Splawn modded Marshall 1987x....that amp was / is just insane and is currently in the hands of Krashdparty (Jerry) and is getting some Texas style lovin' [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Brian Harris of Charley's Music, a confirmed Bogner Slut, wanted to buy the amp from Jerry on the spot when he first heard it and has since ordered one....

Thats the one I miss, the Splawn...

What about youse guys [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Steve E

Re: Amps you miss.....

Well it really doesn't count but I had a mix of several 2203's and 2204's and a bunch of 4x12's I down sized (needed money) and only kept one 2203 and 1960 cab, ironically the first half stack I bought. So I really wasn't missing anything. This was back at a time in my life that I needed to eat [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] so I have no regrets of letting that stuff go...hehehe
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

speed monkey...share a little about the Splawn Marshall 1987x...as in what type of tones and gain available?

Comment

No joke: I miss my bought-new Peavey Backstage Plus. Gonna get another one, sooner or later.

Keith
        The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          speed monkey...share a little about the Splawn Marshall 1987x...as in what type of tones and gain available?

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything from your good ol' crunch rythms to total VH to Lynch type grind. Can easily get waaaaay too gained out if needed. I think it's the biggest bang for the buck out there. The only area the Bogner XTC does anything better is that it has a better singing type of lead tone - just total fluid stuff. I prefered the Splawn in every other area though, it was considerably more open and crunchy. I think an XTC Classic might be the best of both worlds.

Steve E

Comment

I miss my Peavey Bandit 112 (pre-transtube). It was the original, and it was cool. I had to sell it recently due to financial crap...It had some great tones in it.

Comment

My late 60's Marshall head (100 watt)modded by Lee Jackson. Total 1 trick pony but was very good at what it did.
              www.kiddhavok.com
              www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

I miss my Bogner mod Marhsall I originally ordered in 92-3.
                Also 92 Soldano SLO snakeskin I used to own around 95.

Comment

My '78 JMP 50-watt master volume head, with a 1960 Classic 412 cab. It did one thing and did it right. Also a Carvin X-60B halfstack
                  that I liked quite a lot. And Keith, a Peavey Decade that I had for almost 20 years, then sold. It had a 12 volt input so you could plug it into your car's cigarette lighter outlet.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I miss my Bogner mod Marhsall I originally ordered in 92-3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh Doh Doh [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Tim Rose owns a Bogner modded 50 watt JMP in a Bogner small box that is the best high gain amp I've ever heard, hands down.

Steve E

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Peavey Decade that I had for almost 20 years, then sold. It had a 12 volt input so you could plug it into your car's cigarette lighter outlet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still have mine! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      www.kiddhavok.com
                      www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

I am keeping my Splawn! What an awesome amp. It's different from the one you had Steve. Mine has a different mod. It has a 3 button footswitch, which gives 4 footswitchable tones plus solo boost. I also have a Uber so I have a new sounding rig and an old sounding rig. Very happy.

I still have a 101b here. I need to get rid of, but cant seem to say goodbye.

Comment

I was listening Aerosmith's Rocks the other day & some of those tones really made me miss this little modded silverface Fender Champ that I used to have.

It had such a raw sounding natural kind of breakup that responded so well to the little nuances & intensity of your playing.

Comment

Well, I never had the amps you guys did, but I do have two I miss. My first Peavey 5150, and a first edition Peavey Ultra.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I still have a 101b here. I need to get rid of, but cant seem to say goodbye.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I can't blame you, it's a killer amp....If things work out my 101b may magically be turning itself into a 100b [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Nothing a little trade + cash deal won't take care of.

Steve E

Comment

Working...
                              X