Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GOOD cheap floor preamp - clips/review inside :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOOD cheap floor preamp - clips/review inside :)

Here's a clip, recorded direct to my PC, NOTHING done to it after recording. No added fx, nada, zip, zilch.

http://members.aol.com/petesguitars/santanastomp.mp3

Picked up a DG-Stomp friday, messed with it a bit today. Thought I'd put a mini review here since I haven't seen much interest in modelling amps or fx units other than the usual suspects. (Line6, Behringer, Johnson for the most part)

Anyways, it's a footswitchable box, about the width of four 'regular' stomp boxes and a little bit longer. Does 8 different amp emulations, but doesn't try to name them - you get 2 cleans, 2 crunches, 2 drives, 2 leads. The usual suspects are there as far as effects - phase, flange, chorus, tremolo, compressor, delay, tape echo (which is great) and three types of reverb. It also has a speaker sim for direct recording or going to the board live, and has midi in/out. Most of the controls have knobs - want to turn on the flanger? press the flanger button and tweak the modulation knobs. One can't stack modulation effects, but usually you wouldn't want to anyways.

effects are set up into banks of 3 each, so you can instantly footswitch between 3 patches in that bank. It's kinda a pain in the ass to go between banks, at least on the fly, so you'd have to go between the three patches per song. Or you can use a midi footcontroller, but the appeal to me of this gizmo was as a easily carried to the gig emergency backup. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

There is a footswitch for tapping in the tempo for the delay, which is nice, it has a tuner built in, and is built like a friggin' tank. Also, the preamp/modelling stuff can be turned off, and it can be used as an effects unit only... and you can set it up where each of the footswitches turns on/off a certain effect, like modulation, delay and reverb.

I also bought an expression pedal, so I can access the wah, which has about 20x the settings the one in my Vetta has. You can set the high and low frequencies, the pedal travel, and the 'q' of the sweep.

These can be found for around $110-$140 or so, and really sound good. Not as many goodies as a Pod would have, but I think this sounds better than the Pod 2.3 and close to the XT. It's not a 'shred metal' box by any means, but for 80s metal and any other styles of music it seems to work well.

Pete

Re: GOOD cheap floor preamp - clips/review inside

sounds really good. i remember someone telling me i should pick one of those up a year or two ago but i hesitated.
    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

It's difficult to judge what's good and what's not so good when the playing is friggin' phenomenal all the time. You could squeeze great tone out of a brick if you wanted to. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I've never actually heard of the DG-Stomp before. Sounds intriguing!

Comment

Sounds great, Pete! Thanks for the review.

Comment

Thanks guys. Here's a pic of one I found on the web... check out all the KNOBS. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I kinda dig the analog simplicity of it too.

Pete

Comment

sounds good, Pete. Thanks for the review & clip.

If I could play worth a lick, I'd do a similar thing for the Korg AX1500G. It's a similar unit, rugged, easy to use and the chicken head knobs give it a very analog vibe. Sounds pretty good too.
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Good review.
              Congrats on your new find Pete. I might just look for one of these...

Comment

Beautiful playing, Pete. Thanks for posting this.

Comment

Thx guys. Just spreading the word about a cool device. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Working...
                  X