Went to GC yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went to GC yesterday

It was productive, I eliminated the Boogie Triaxis as a candidate in my preamp quest.

The funny thing is the problem I had yesterday was finding a decent guitar to try out this used Triaxis rig with. It was pathetic. First I grabbed a nifty looking used Suhr. Sounded great. Played like ass. You could have slid a stack of quarters between the strings and fingerboard. The salesman says "that guitar kicks ass" - uh, yeah, whatever. When I try a high gain setting on the Triaxis the whole rig starts humming and squealing. Nice. So I grab a used MusicMan EVH model. The strings must have been original. Action was terrible. It was so far out of tune the fine tuners couldn't compensate. It made the same squealing as the Suhr. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] So I ask the salesman to move the rig to a different outlet. So I switched to a new DK2 sitting there. Squealing is gone - yippee! This guitar played terrible - it needed a couple cranks on the truss rod (or it needed a bit more tension for shooting arrows. Finally, I grabbed a nearby Les Paul Studio. This thing wouldn't stay in tune and had a nice bow in it as well. I think they reliced the strings.

Oh well. Time to start bringing my own guitars with me again.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Re: Went to GC yesterday

Incredibly typical of GC in my area, too. I played a used Anderson that had action that I swear was 3/4". Insane - no wonder they can't sell it.
    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Yeah, they suck. I once played a new EB Petrucci set up the same way. I never judge a guitar by how it is setup at GC.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I think they reliced the strings.

[/ QUOTE ]
        [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I think those are the stock strings on every guitar in every GC! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have noticed the same thing, especially on acoustics at GC. Whether it is a cheap yamaha or an expensive Gibby or Martin, the action is so high and the strings are so cruddy, you can't judge whether the guitar is good or not.

Comment

Then I overheard one of the salesmen telling a customer that this MIK Fender Tele was precisely to '52 specs. Fucktard. The neck wasn't even close. The pickups were Duncans - I'm sure Leo used a lot of those in '52. The neck finish was satin poly and the body was high-gloss slightly ambered clear poly. The fucktard had the nerve to tell the customer it was a Nitro finish. [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Let me meet my stupid question quota for the week: what does "reliced" mean? I've heard this term before.
              Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

"Reliced" comes from the Fender "Relic" treatment. It's when they take their reissues and make them look vintage. Like leave them out in the sun a few days, chip the paint, rust the parts, that sort of thing. "Reliced" strings in my book would be corroded, with divots from the frets in them. I agree with the whole GC thing about having sh!tty gear. I made a post about that the other day, and I guess it's no different in hippietim's neck of the woods. A lot of people at GC(JCFers excluded, obviously, since they come here and learn stuff and spread what they know) might as well be selling Nikes as Gibsons.

Comment

I see. Yeah, I'm familiar with that, I just had never seen it in print. It looks like it would rhyme with "sliced."
                  [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                  Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I don't actually know if "reliced" is in the dictionary.

Comment

It's not. Maybe "relic'd" would be closer?
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                      X