Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2ch vs 3ch Dual Recto - What's the difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2ch vs 3ch Dual Recto - What's the difference?

Hello people!

I have next to no knowledge regarding tube amplifiers (or amps in general) and I trust there are quite a few of you here with experience from the Mesa Dual Rectifiers...? [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

I do however know when I like a guitar tone... and that is the case with the dual recto! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I tried one out two days ago at a local music store... and I could never imagine what it felt like to be blown away by an amp since I really haven't had any experience with great amps before.

I nearly **** my pants, goddamn what a powerful sound! It sent shivers through my body! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

The thing is, a brand new Dual Recto is way out of my league price-wise, so I'm gonna go for a used one!

I've understood that the earlier Rectos had two channels as opposed to today's model that has three. I've also seen some people say that they prefer the 2ch version, claiming the tone is better for example.

Can someone tell me what the real difference is? Since I don't know jack about these other than they're legendary and sounds fantastic, I'd really appreciate a thorough explanation if you have the time. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anders
    https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Re: 2ch vs 3ch Dual Recto - What\'s the difference?

I don't know what the mechanical difference is but I can tell you that IMHO the early 2 channel Dual Recto sounds much better than the 3 channel later model.

Comment

Thanks jg! But why is that? What about the sound sets them apart? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] More or less gain, is it possible to explain it or do I have to test them side by side? The older 2ch one is still a high gain metal suited amp right?

And also, I guess that it'd be best to get a real Mesa cabinet, but I think that'll have to come later. If I managae to get ahold of a used head, what would be the best "bang for the buck" USED cabinet to start with?

Anders

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I don't know what the mechanical difference is but I can tell you that IMHO the early 2 channel Dual Recto sounds much better than the 3 channel later model.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know spent considerable time with 2 and 3 side by side both el34 loaded. Not much differnce to me.Although my 3 channel is one of the first. I do like the fact that the 3 channel has a solo level and effects on and of

Comment

i've tested both the dual and triple channel recs, and i agree with jgcable: the old ones sound way better. i found the newer ones to be really harsh sounding in comparison to the much warmer sound of the old recs (not vintage marshall warm, of course [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ). i dont know, maybe better tubes and a proper bias setup could improve the new ones?

Comment

I agree with that opinion. The newer 3 channel models sounds more harsh and brittle. The older 2 channel model sounds smoother with a more "Master of Puppets" type gain and tone. I do like the convienence of the 3 channel model by having a solo channel.

Comment

Thanks for you replies guys! If this is the case with the old 2ch ones I think I'd be really happy with one! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              But one thing I found cool about the one I tested was the solo level, and if I understand correctly the old 2ch ones don't have that?

Anders

Comment

I've yet to hear any difference that couldn't be accounted for by tube variation. The "Orange" channel definitely sounds different, since it's supposed to, but the "Red" is identical from an electronic point of view in both amps - straight out of the mouth of Mesa.

Now, the rackmount 2 channels do sound different. I also think the 3 channel Triple sounds better than the Dual.

I continue to suspect that the reason for the two channel "mystique" is simply different/older tubes.
                Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I've yet to hear any difference that couldn't be accounted for by tube variation. The "Orange" channel definitely sounds different, since it's supposed to, but the "Red" is identical from an electronic point of view in both amps - straight out of the mouth of Mesa.

Now, the rackmount 2 channels do sound different. I also think the 3 channel Triple sounds better than the Dual.

I continue to suspect that the reason for the two channel "mystique" is simply different/older tubes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a triple, when comparing I had just put a hot sextet of Svetlanas in it.

I always run full power regardless of level, full power is clearer at any level to me-Also diodes

Channel level can have quite an effect the darkness of sound on a 3 channel. I leave channel levels low and use the master-keeps it from being harsh.

If you have the fx loop "on" with the 3 channel it is a little fuzzier regardless of if an effect is in line or not.

Anyway I really don't use the solo boost because the my lead sound cuts through anything.

I think when it comes to comparison is it worth paying more for the 3 channel. My reply is no-You really only find one sound you like anyway in these amps.Is a 2 channel this awesome amp that kills 3channels-no you can get the same sounds out of both, just maybe not on exactly the same eq settings. I would pick up a 2 channel and save cash a triple is overkill-I only bought it cause I got a reasonable deal.

Comment

Some claim to hear a big difference btween the 2 channel and 3 channel, I really don't hear any huge difference, besides the added modes on the 3. The first 250 Duals produced in 1992 (small logo, chrome chasis, no EL34/6L6 switch) were indeed different then the latter versions. The circuit was slightly different, transformers were different, and so was the sound. The tone was a little tighter, cutting and more focused. The latter 2 channel versions do sound different and near identical to the current 3 channel version.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time Michael, LRG and Ozz!!
                      All replies in the thread have made it a bit clearer for me!
                      I'll be going after a used 2ch one!

If they are taken care of and handled carefully - how long will an amp last? I don't mean the tubes... but could you stick with the amp for "the rest of your life" if you wanted to?

And also, I guess they sound best with a real Mesa cab... but what would be some good alternatives in a fairly cheap price range?

Anders

Comment

I've had several two channel Rectos and a couple three channel, and the two channel amps sound way better in my opinion.

Comment

I had a chrome chassis dual recto head... it killed. A friend of mine has a rackmount 2 channel, and it sounds great too. I didn't like the newer three channels... I preferred the single recto head I had over them.

Pete

Comment

For what it's worth,I just picked up a used Dual Recto 2x12 Combo and the other guitar player in our band has a Triple and is already trying to beat me out of it!It just has a slightly different tone compared to his Triple.......
                            Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

the sound difference is most likely in the length of wires used inside.

i always heard that the trem-o-verb is the best sounding recto out there due to the length of wires and the way they are run through the head.
                              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                              X