Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2ch vs 3ch Dual Recto - What's the difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2ch vs 3ch Dual Recto - What\'s the difference?

I always felt that the Tremoverb sounded the best too. The 1st year Dual Rectifier sounds really good too. I think the new 3 channel triples are the worst sounding ones of the bunch.

Comment

If you are going to get a head that is not rackmounted go with the tremoverb because they are the best sounding ones that are not racked. I have had a few rectifiers and here is a rundown of the others. A Rack 2 Ch dual --- A 2 Ch dual head --- and a 3 Ch dual.... I owned the 3 and the Rack head at the same time. The 3 Ch had some strong points. The Effects loop could be turned on and off by remote. The solo boost. Extra channel... It sounded ok and I liked it at first. When I would play next to a two channel rack head that my brother owned it was not the same....so I bought a 2 ch rack head. I ended up keeping the 2 ch rack head because the tone was just better. I really did not use the 3 Channels on the new version either so... The 2 ch has a clone feature so you can make two lead channels (mini toggle makes the clean channel crunchy) and that was awesome because if you dont need the clean you have a great heavy chunk channel and a nice lead too. I miss the rack head out of all Mesa... Hell... I miss it out of ALL the amps I ever sold. It was a great head but what I am using now took its place and I am really really happy with that.

I would go with a rackmount rectifier if I were to get another one. They hold there value too. I bought mine for $900 and sold it a year later for $1200 I think.... My brother sold his and made a little bit on it too. He had a chrome chassis rackmount head.... God I wish I bought that one off of him... It was the best rectifier I had ever heard.

Also - THe 3 CH head uses a midi type plug for the footswitch which sucks. It is a potential problem waiting to happen. The older heads use good old ring-tip 1/4" cables and they are an easy fix if you kill it. I like simple. I love easy to repair/fix. Fubar up that footswitch cable at a gig and you are an **** to all your bandmates for the night. Fubar a 2 ch footswitch cable and you get another one out of your bag (Hopefully you bring extra cables to a gig).

The quality/build of all the rectifier heads are above par. That you have no worries.

Hope you find the one you are looking for.

Also - the 3 Ch has an adjustable send and return for the effects loop. The later 2 Channel heads had this too. Nice feature to have if you use the loop. The earlier heads did not have this feature. I would not pass on an earlier version that did not have it but it is something to think about....
      Oh yeah - Forgot. The 3 Ch also has a master for the effects loop on the front which you could set up so you could turn the loop on and off by remote for a solo boost. The two channel heads did not have a master for the effects loop.

Did I forget any of the differences??? I think I got them all.

Comment

Chuck, Pete, Timmy, Dreamland, jg - Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Chris - Wow, thanks for the long answer! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Do the earlier 2ch ones go for more money since they're no longer made or something like that? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Since I'm in Sweden, things go for higher prices than in the US and this is the situation: I think I can get ahold of a 10 year old used 2ch in good condition with footswitch and protective cover for quite exactly half the money that a brand new 3ch one would cost me. Is that an OK deal?

Anders
        https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

I don't know what the exact numbers would be, but I would pay that all day every day! Half of a new one when the old ones slay the new ones...that's a deal!

Comment

Go for it!!! The "old" 2-channels definately sound better than the newer ones... and I've owned both!

Comment

chuck, i'm not totally sure how much the rec's go for in sweden, but in germany a brand new triple channel dual rectifier retails at about 2400 euro, and the used 2 channel versions usually sell for 1200-1600 euro (ebay).
              still more than in the US, though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

If you can get an older one for 1/2 the price of the newer ones I would do it too. As Chuck said... "All Day every day".

Comment

THe older heads. don't go for more money but they do hold there value better. The Rectifier rackmount heads bring in a pretty good buc and so do the tremoverbs which are kinda rare too. Not impossible to find but nearly impossible to find at a steal price. Let us know what you get brutha!

Comment

I will indeed let you know what I get! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                    As soon as I get it I'll post pics, hehe!

Now, I still don't know what cabinet to get unless I find a Mesa cab for a good price... Suggestions? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Anders

Comment

I love my boogie cab. That is what I would get. They sound great with a rectifier so....

Comment

Ok Chris, I guess it's what I should go after, but I'll be pretty much ruined after this GAS-attack! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Eventually however I WILL get a Mesa cab, the question is only if I can afford it right away. I guess that remains to be seen. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The reason for going after an amp as big as this is because we're gonna try to get some gigs with a new band that's just been started. And if we do, I really need something that I can play through. My small combo or my V-amp2 just doesn't feel right! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I guess of course you could run the V-amp through the PA or mic the combo... But I want something with a great sound as well as something I can stick with for a long time!

Anders

Comment

Working...
                        X