XT live vs 5150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XT live vs 5150

hey, i'm thinking about selling my 5150combo and getting a POD XT live...but i'm not sure...
    here's my situation;
    i live in a small apartment and the 5150 is quite overpowering, i have the postgain (of the dist. channel) on 0.4 most of the time, so it feels like i never use the potential of the 5150 to the max..
    i play in two bands; a trashmetalband and an extreme doom/noise band so i practise twice a week with these bands, in different practise rooms and always with the amps that are present there, which can vary from some Marshall valvestate to a fullstack...i always take my MT2 (i know [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] ) with me to spice up if its a little amp...
    i'm not in the situation to take my 5150combo with me to practise, at gigs (which will come in the nearby future) i''ll manage to take my 5150 with me, but not easily..
    so a xtlive will be quite handy for traveling..

now i'm thinking; wouldnt it be more logical to get a XT live ? that way i can plug it into the poweramp section of the amps in the rehearsalrooms and have approx. the same tone in the different rooms...
    but i also think; what if line 6 releases a XTlive2 or something, then the XTlive will be worth ****, while the 5150 is quite steady in value, plus i just love the 5150 tone and feel..
    tone is quite important for me; in my doomband we have these 1 min sustaining chords with feedback and all, and it has to sound organic (not that it sounds like that now with the MT2) and not the typical sterile moddeling sound (i used to own a V-Amp, hated it)

what would you do/suggest?

Re: XT live vs 5150

if you like the tone you get with the XT live, and there are always poweramps/cabs available at venues where you play, why not go for it?

Comment

well i wonder how the XT live holds up at gigs..plus ive read on the HC forum that the effects sound horrible in some effectloops

Comment

what about just getting a power attenuator?

so you can crank at low volumes?

Comment

well thats an option....
          but still, i cant bring my 5150 to practise and gigs...it feels a bit stupid to have a tube-amp in my small room...
          perhaps its just GAS though, lol

Comment

why can't you get the 5150 to practices and gigs? It's not that big (I have one). If it is the weight (probably around 80 pounds or so), do what I did and go the the hardware store and buy 4 heavy duty castors and install them. Then you only have to lift if if you encounter steps.

Comment

Im planning to get a 5150 combo, and Im going to bring it to practices and gigs.

/\ /\ the Castors idea is a great idea. I was going to suggest a dolly [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I would NEVER use modeling gear for a doom band. EVER. PERIOD. And I've never heard of "trashmetal". If I were you I'd keep the 5150.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  why can't you get the 5150 to practices and gigs? It's not that big (I have one). If it is the weight (probably around 80 pounds or so), do what I did and go the the hardware store and buy 4 heavy duty castors and install them. Then you only have to lift if if you encounter steps.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have to move it by public transport... imagine a 5150combo in the train and bus [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

sell me the combo and get yourself the xt live.
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

are the 2 practice rooms in the same building?

Comment

no...in different cities...so keeping the 5150 is not an option..
                        i'll test the XT live this weekend..

Comment

Hey, at least if you have a 5150 on the bus, you know you'll have someplace to sit no matter how crowded it is!!

Comment

That's a good point, lol! AS for worrying about an XTLive 2, if they came out with that doesn't Line6 usually offer update chips for little or nothing? Or it's likely you could get the update online, like you can do to make a Vetta a Vetta II. Or you may want to keep the 5150 and look for one of those Yamaha DG Stomp devices pete demoed the other day. Heck of a preamp for $110-$150 USD, and there are probably some floating around over there in Europe as well. My experience with Yamaha music gear is that it's very well made and resale value is stupid cheap. Great for buying and keeping, not so great if you go to sell it. I can see the dlemma with public transit, but if you could get a DG stomp without having to sell the 5150, then one day when your situation changes and you have a car, say, you have a powerful amp that you like - and can get some cool clean tones out of it using your DG Stomp, which can disable the preamps and models and work as effects only. Just a thought; Pete's a tubehead and also a Line6 fan, so if he likes it I'd say it's a good unit.
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Ahh...a bus or train. The 5150 is not too good for that for sure.
                              Well, I have a Boss GT-3, and I've practiced and gigged with just the GT-3 direct to the board. You have to make sure to use the proper settings, but to my ear it sounded great. Granted, I didn't A/B it with a tube amp to really tell the differences, but at the time it sounded great.
                              Just about anything other than an effects processor / modeler is going to be a pain on a train (hey, that sounds like a song title..pain on a train). Even a 15 watt tube amp with an OD or distortion peadal on the front (miked through the PA) is going to be a pain to carry around on a bus or train. I say get a used GT-3, GT-5, or GT-6, but then again, I haven't tried a POD or XT or anything else.

Comment

Working...
                              X