Tone Question (Carcass/Heartwork)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone Question (Carcass/Heartwork)

Does anyone know what they used to record the guitars on this album? Both Bill Steer and Mike Amott. The tones are so great and I've never been able to capture any tone I was really crazy about by messing around on my own. Any info would be cool. Thanx fellas.

- Irfaan -

Re: Tone Question (Carcass/Heartwork)

I would bet they used JCM 800's pushed with something.

Comment

I read and old interview bout Bill using 5150 and crank it out loud. But any additional info would be nice. I like their tone too.

Comment

I've done web searches left and right and can't seem to find anything in depth on Carcass except for bios and history. Great band, is anyone else keeping up with the current members side projects? I heard Jeff Walker is doing a country/blues record and Ken Owens & Bill Steer will be playing as guest musicians on it. Do we dare see a Carcass reunion in the future?

Comment

To my surprise i found out that one of the members of a forum i visit daily (it's about building recording gear) is the mixing engineer who did Carcass' Heartwork.

So of course i asked him about the process of recording that album as i of course love the guitar sound !
          Here you can read what he wrote:

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/vie...ht=death+metal

Hope this helps

Flo
          http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Hi Flo,
            That was by far one of the most interesting things I've ever read. Thank you for posting it. Basically it was just trial/error and a lot of luck that made those guitar tones so great. That's kinda nuts, but great to hear it from the guy who recorded it. Thanks again.

- Irfaan -

Comment

LoL, I'm havin fun reading the rest of this. Very cool guy. Dosen't look like he ever answered you on which head he used to record the album though. Might have missed it though...

Comment

Andy has his own forum over at ultimatemetal.com you can ask there, or search through the archives. I think it was a combo of a 5150 head and a Marshall microstack.
                ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

I don't think Bill Steer has any interest in working with Mike Amott again.

Comment

Bill used a 5150 and a Marshall 10 watt micro stack...if there was a Marshall it was probably his 30th anniv on ch.2

those are some of the best tones on that disc.

live it was just 5150s and the secret weapon...Marshall Guvnor.

Comment

"I don't think Bill Steer has any interest in working with Mike Amott again"

I don't think Mike would leave Arch Enemy for Carcass also. Either way, I would love to see em reunited. Every amp I try I always go back to the 5150, love the tone of that in general. I'm not familiar with the Guvnor, but I'll do a search on it. Thanks for all the info fellas. I'll look into that forum Matt, thanks. I haven't posted there in months, no time like the present to check it out again.

- Irfaan -

Comment

Bill Steer is doing a blues/stoner band called Firebird. They've released 3 albums I think, haven't heard any of them yet though. I know that on "Necrotism: Descanting the Insalubrious" they played Ibanez RG 550's through JCM 800 with overdrive pedals, but not sure what they used on Heartwork. I have the "wake up and smell the Carcass" DVD, I'll check out the music video for Heartwork and see if I can figure it out.
                        A Carcass reunion would be great, especially now that Angela Gossip(whatever) has ruined Arch Enemy. Their music started sucking badly after Johan Liiva left...no more intricate melodic riffing..I always felt AE was Carcass on the next level..then that bitch had to go and **** it all up [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X