MXR zakk wylde overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MXR zakk wylde overdrive

hello, i am looking to buy a overdrive pedal. i play a solid state randall rg75 amp. i want something to use with my amps overdrive channel to make my amps distortion better. i want a more tube amp distortion, something to give me that marshall type crunch. i will also use it with my amps clean channel for some low gain playing. i am pretty sure i am getting a MXR zakk wylde overdrive. can anyone tell me about this pedal? any experiences? or recomend and others?

thanks, matt

Re: MXR zakk wylde overdrive

I tried it at the store, its pretty nice.

Similar to the Boss SD-1. But 2x the price.

Comment

If you're talking overdrive, the Boss DS-1. The SD-1 is a distortion pedal. Never used the MXR, but the DS-1 is a great pedal.

Comment

Chris,

I'm as close to positive as I can be that the DS-1 is the Distortion and it's Orange. The SD-1 is Yellow I think and is the overdrive. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
        Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Chris,

I'm as close to positive as I can be that the DS-1 is the Distortion and it's Orange. The SD-1 is Yellow I think and is the overdrive. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto that..... I am currently looking at my yellow SD-1.....

Comment

....and I'm fondly remembering my orange DS-1!
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I'll lay down my pipe and walk away... [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] I stand corrected. Too much to try to think lately. Duh... I'll go back to my padded room and keep quiet for a bit! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Comment

I tried the MXR ZW OD... didn't like it at all. Too noisey and raspy. I'll stick to the SD-1. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

You could get a SD-1 and have it modded by analogman or keeley for about the same price as the MXR ZW OD, and have a much better pedal.

Comment

I don't have an opinion on the ZW, but I just switched from a DS-1/JCM800 to an SD-1/JCM800 and I really like the difference. I compared the SD-1 to an Ibanez TS-5 tubescreamer and liked the SD-1 over that too with the same rig.
                    Sounds great in fron of the solid state Marshall Lead 12 I have too!
                    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

I think SD-1/JCM 800 is pretty much Mr. Wylde's rig.

Comment

I'm running a ZW into my JCM 800 and really like it. It does have a different sound than a SD-1, but it's not that drastic of a change, a little more lowend. If I they had never made it, I would still be using the SD-1. That's a great combo.

Jason

Comment

Guys, something else to remember here...an overdrive pedal won't really do much for a solid-state amp. OD pedals are designed to push a tube amp's tubes harder. It will still make some difference, just not as dramatic as it would be with a tube amp.

Comment

It'll clip the amp and sound like arse, basically!

Andy!

Comment

Working...
                            X