tube amps w/ standby switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tube amps w/ standby switch

What's the proper way to turn on tube amps that have standby switches? I've heard you can screw them up by repeatedly doing it wrong...

Re: tube amps w/ standby switch

Flip the main power switch on and let it set for at least a couple minutes to warm up a bit. Some guys say two, some say five and some say ten or more minutes, but I think a couple is fine. Then flip your stanby switch and start jamming. I don't know if it matters if you flip the stanby before the power to turn it off, but I usualy do and it just ensures it's in the right position when you power up again. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Here's how I do it:

Power switch to ON
      Wait 1 - 3 minutes (for tubes to warm up?)
      Standby switch ON
      Play

To turn off
      Standby switch OFF
      Wait 1 - 3 minutes (tubes to cool down)
      Power switch OFF

This is a Marshall JCM800, and the tubes have lasted over 14 years.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Turn on the power with the standby off. Let the amp warm up for a few minutes. Turn the standby on. Rock out with your cock out, or jam out with your clam out, whatever the case might be. Turn off the Standby, then the Power. Turning them off you don't have to wait though.

How long you should leave the power on with the standby off is a matter of debate. A lot of guys smoke a cigarette. If I am at home, I listen to a song or two to get me hyped up, if I'm onstage, I turn the power on as soon as I can, then set up my pedals and grab my guitar and stuff.

The reason is that the tubes need to warm up before getting hit with the full power of your amplifier. If you just turn the amp on cold you'll severly shorten the life of your tubes.

Comment

Just turn on the power switch, let the tubes warm up for about a 30-60 seconds before hitting the stand-by. I usually let them warm up a feew minutes before I play anyway. I also keep volume on the guitar down when take out of stand-by, then I increase the volume pot on the guitar. Be nice to you tubes and and they'll be nice to you.

When you are done playing, flip the stand-by switch off for about 30-60 seconds before killing the power.

I know of no official rule per se but that is how I've been doing it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Ron, you don't have to wait for the tubes to cool down before powering off your amp. However, if you've been jamming long and loud, you should let the tubes cool down before MOVING the amps, since when they are hot they are much more fragile.

Comment

14 years? is that some kind of record Ron? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Pre-Amp tubes I can see but power tubes? I guess its the amount of hours and the conditions you play in.
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

I typically don't move that amp much.

BTW Shawn I think my power tubes just died. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                Time for those KT88s I guess!

Comment

A new set of KT88's cost as much as a Model 2 on eBay.

Comment

"Jam with your clam out" is one of the best phrases I've heard in awhile. My bass player will thank you for it since she is physically incapable of rocking with her cock out.

And yes, thanks for the good start-up tips, too!

Comment

may as well do them all [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] hell..it will be like getting a brand new amp [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] JCM 800's are cool amps.

I'm sorta the same way in that if I think something sounds good and I like it, I don't mess with it.
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

By set you mean 4, right? Good thing I only need 2! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                        $69.50 at eurotubes

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          may as well do them all [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] hell..it will be like getting a brand new amp [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] JCM 800's are cool amps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I was talking with Pete (Twisteramps) and he seemed to think the 12ax7s were all right for now. I'll just bring everything up to Mark Cameron one of these days and go by what he says. As for pre amp tubes, my Mom recently gave me her touring rig from the 60s; one cab has nothing but rows and rows of 12ax7s! I gotta post a pic of that here one day! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Comment

Damn! Everybody's mothers should give them cool stuff like touring rigs!

Comment

2 KT88's is only half a set in my book. 2150's rule!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X