5150 II Bias

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150 II Bias

I'm wondering if anybody knows how to do the bias mod. on the 5150 II in order to get the tubes 'a cookin'. I know there is that dude JerryP who seems to be popular on the forums for this mod but damn shipping two ways would suck. I mean if it is simply desoldering a trim pot and replacing it with another...hell I can do that. Anybody know?

Re: 5150 II Bias

on JerryP's site it shows how you can take out just the little circuit board and ship that to him, and he can mod just the small board.

If that makes a difference.

If you see this, JerryP, do you do mods for the Combos too? (may seem like a silly question, but. . . whatever)
    We talked before about when I get a 5150 halfstack, but a halfstack seems too impractical for hauling to practice and gigs, so Im pretty sure I want one of the 5150 combos.

Comment

http://members.aol.com/fjamods/5150BiasMod.html

Comment

I knew it would be pretty basic.....Chuck...you 'da man..thanks. Great pics and instruction in that link.

Comment

JerryP is 'da man...I'm just the messenger.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

If you see this, JerryP, do you do mods for the Combos too? (may seem like a silly question, but. . . whatever)
            We talked before about when I get a 5150 halfstack, but a halfstack seems too impractical for hauling to practice and gigs, so Im pretty sure I want one of the 5150 combos.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do mod the combo's too. They cost a bit more because of the extra work involved. They have to be completely gutted to do any type of mod. They also have a different bias circuit than the other 5150's. I'm personally not a big fan of the combo. I prefer the head versions with a 2x12 or 4x12.
            Jerry
            FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I knew it would be pretty basic.....Chuck...you 'da man..thanks. Great pics and instruction in that link.

[/ QUOTE ]

The bias mod for the 5150II is different than it is for the 5150. The idea is the same, but the procedure is different. The 5150II already has the 10K pot so you don't need to change the pot. On the 5150II you need to change the resistor that controls the range of the bias to move it into a warmer bias range. If you get a copy of the schematic from Peavey you can see which resistor it is. They give you a nice layout along with the schematic.
              Jerry
              FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Working...
              X