THD amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THD amps?

Anyone have any experience with the THD Univalve, BiValve-30 or Flexi-50?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: THD amps?

no.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

toejam, I have a Univalve and love the thing. It is not a very aggressive amp, although certain tubes make it sound mean, but it has a beautiful medium distorted tone. Think DeMartini/Lynch not Deicide. Some have complained the Univalve is too bright but I have never heard that from my amp. I love the thing and play around with different tubes all the time - it's like getting a new amp every couple of months.

The Univalve requires some knob twisting to find your tone, so pass over it if you like 'em easy. But if you're patient and want to sound super sexy look into one.
      Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

I heard good things about them. I'd like the Flexi 50 but man I hate ugly lookin amps regardless of how nice they sound [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          toejam, I have a Univalve and love the thing. It is not a very aggressive amp, although certain tubes make it sound mean, but it has a beautiful medium distorted tone. Think DeMartini/Lynch not Deicide. Some have complained the Univalve is too bright but I have never heard that from my amp. I love the thing and play around with different tubes all the time - it's like getting a new amp every couple of months.

The Univalve requires some knob twisting to find your tone, so pass over it if you like 'em easy. But if you're patient and want to sound super sexy look into one.

[/ QUOTE ]
          Cool. Thanks, Jimmy! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] I'll probably be selling my Fender RocPro 1000 head soon, as well as some other stuff (as well as the JJP [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]), and I've been thinking about getting a small-watt head like the Uni. How do the high and low outputs react with each other, and does turning the guitar volume down do cleans well?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I heard good things about them. I'd like the Flexi 50 but man I hate ugly lookin amps regardless of how nice they sound [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
            I've always thought they looked kinda neat. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I would by a UniValve in a minute if it had a series effects loop, but then again that would ruin the whole "pure tube tone" thing it has going.

Comment

I prefer to have a loop, too, but not a big deal. I believe the Flexi has a loop, but what about the BiValve?

Comment

The BiValve does, but there are a ton of other options in that price range.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    How do the high and low outputs react with each other, and does turning the guitar volume down do cleans well?

[/ QUOTE ]

I only ever used the low input when I first got the amp and have not used it since. The amp is very responsive to how hard or soft you play and cleans up just dandy when you roll back the knob. Cool little amp.

You still have that JJP, huh? Maybe I should sell my GMW so I can buy that without getting divorced. Hmmmm.
                    Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Thanks, Jimmy. You could always trade me the Univalve for the JJP. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

You're going to have to push the univalve with a pedal to get much gain at all... I gigged with one, but it was bluesier stuff than hard rock. Even with everything dimed, the univalve doesn't have a whole lot of gain on tap. Boost it with a good pedal, and it'll be good for solos, but I couldn't get enough gain for hard rock rhythm playing. Still a nice amp, just not much gain.

Pete

Comment

Thanks, Pete. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                          X