Impedence Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impedence Questions

Ok, I've been trying to figure this stuff out and I can't quit figure out a few things....If my head has a switch to switch between 4/8/16 Ohms, and two speakers outputs, if I set it to 16 and use both outputs, do I get 16 out of both or 8 out of each? Also, I have two cabinets that are both rated at 16 Ohm mono, with and input and an output on the back of each one (or two inputs if you switch it to stereo in which case it runs at 8Ohms.) If I set my amp to 16 Ohms, and run a cable to one cab, and out of the output of that cab to the next cab, am I still getting 16 Ohms in each cab or am I getting 8 in each at this point? And is it safe to send an 8 Ohm signal to a 16 Ohm cab, or is it safe to send a 16 ohm signal to an 8 ohm cab? I know one of em reduces volume and the other one breaks things, but not sure which is which...

I want to use my head with one of the 16 ohm cabinets and an 8 ohm 2x12, so is there any way for me to do this safely? Sorry for all the questions dudes but if someone can give me a paragraph that will make something click in my head and let me understand this crap, I will be very very grateful!
    Thanks dudes!

Re: Impedence Questions

Basically, you can always use a higher ohm cabinet than what the amp calls for (16 ohm cabinet, 8 ohm out head). If it is lower (4 ohm cab, 8 ohm head), you could harm your amp. As for the speakers, I'm pretty sure if you use two cabinets wired in parallel, the load will be half (two 8 ohm cabinets wired in parallel = 4 ohms). Wired in series, the ohm's are doubled.

I'm probably wrong on the series/parallel thing, so hopefully someone that really knows what they are talking about can provide more help... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
    X