X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distortion vs. overdrive

Whats the difference between the two?

Re: Distortion vs. overdrive

In regards to a pedal or in regards to the actual terms?

Comment

Well, both of them involve a clipped signal, but the historical distinction between overdrive and distortion has been where the clipping occurs. Power amp clipping is typically referred to as overdrive. Preamp clipping is typically referred to as distortion.

Here's my take - and I'm not a amp guru, so feel free to chime in gurus:

- Overdrive occurs when the output of the preamp stage is so high and the output tubes are driven so hard that the signal going through the amp is clipped. Clipping that occurs in the power amp stage is identified by being warmer and more "round" than preamp distortion. This is the 70's Super Distortion loaded Les Paul into a Plexi Marshall sound - roar rather than grind.

- Distortion is clipping at the preamp stage, which is then cleanly amplified by the power amp. The signal is clipped as it comes into the preamp, and the power amp handles the volume without clipping the signal any more. Typically, you have a harsher sound with preamp clipping.

Now, in reality, you're likely getting a little but of both, especially with tube amps.

If you're talking about pedals providing this sound, an overdrive pedal will produce a softer clipping than a distortion to simulate the overdriven power amp.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

overdrive is achieved by "overdriving" (=cranking) the poweramp of your amp which results in a warm, crunchy "distortion". thats the type of sound overdrive pedals try to achieve, too (boss od series, tubescreamer, etc)
        when people are talking about distortion, they usually mean preamp gain. preamp distortion is much gainier than power amp distortion, but less dynamic. depending on the type of the amp it sounds more articulate and clear, too. (i always thought that poweramp overdrive doesnt cut it for tight rhythm playing, as it sounds somewhat mushy to my ears. it's great for lead playing, though, because of its "singing" quality).
        when talking about distortion pedals, people usually mean stuff like the boss ds1, or the mt2. while overdrive pedals often act more like a volume boost and only add little gain, distortion pedals CAN be used for heavy metal distortion via your amp' clean channel.....although i dont recommend it ^^

greets
        fragle

Comment

When using pedals, you'd use a distortion pedal into a clean amp. When using an overdrive pedal, you'd use that in front of an amp with an already-distorted sound to give it more gain.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
          X