Seymour Duncan amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan amp?

A guitarist in my area has a Seymour Duncan convertible head he's offering to sell me for $350. I'm going to play it sometime this weekend. He says you can adjust it to any power between 5 and 100 watts. Sounds interesting.

If any of you are familiar with these, are there any quality issues they had? Any other thoughts would help. Thanks!

Re: Seymour Duncan amp?

i never played one, but a couple of people on the other boards say they are a good quality, good sounding amp. I think it's a decent deal for $350.

Comment

Thanks, man. I'm kind of surprised some of our gearheads haven't chimed in...but then again, I don't think we run into these just every day.

Comment

i believe they were only offered for a very short time in the early to mid nineties. 350 for an all tube USA made head is a good deal.

Comment

I had one, it sounded like ****. Try before you buy...

Pete

Comment

Pete, how was the build quality? I understands these convertibles allow a lot of tweaking, and I intend to do some good testing before I buy - fortunately, it's right near my rehearsal space!

I don't suppose you have anything that you'd like to unload, do you?

Comment

I had one years ago and it was a pain in the ass. Very problematic, but it did sound pretty good, but not good enough to stay around. Kinda gimmiky.

Comment

Thanks, Vito...that's good info. What sorts of problems did it give you?

Comment

It's been a while, but I remember that I had to take it in for repairs probably 3 to 4 times over the course of the two years that I had it. What I remember most was lots of unusual noises and humming. Very unpredictable - moreso than a tube amp typically is.

Comment

Build quality was ok, nothing that great. PC board construction, with those gimmicky modules too. I'd pass on it, personally. Mine got decent clean tones and craptacular high gain - it just didn't sound that great. It was heavy as hell too.

let me put it this way - I had a WORKING one, and I took it apart for the transformers, that I'm going to use for a 100 watt Marshall killer someday. The transformers are about the best thing going on these amps, other than you can sell the modules for $50-$100 each on ebay. I sold the modules for what I paid for the amp, then stripped it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Pete and Vito, thanks for your info. I'll give it a look, but it's going to have to blow me away.

Comment

I don't think you are gonna be too impressed with it. I tried one way back when, and didn't play it for long. Didn't buy it, either.

Comment

Yuck. Cool concept.. crappy sound.

Comment

I remember those. It was quite some time ago, but I remember not diggin' it too much. But, it was a long time ago. I may like it less now! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Seeing you have the chance to hear it now, I would at least do that.

Comment

probably a reason why SD stopped building them...nobody was buying [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X