Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Zwengel Half Stack

I just picked a Zwengel half stack.

Zwengel amps are a boutique brand, manufactured by Carl Zwengel in Illinois. There are probably only 25 Zwengel amps currently in existense. I tried a 2x12 combo out several months ago and knew that one of these amps was in my future. I then found a guy who was unloading a half-stack for a price too good to pass up. Here's a pic with a few of the kids:

The head is a two channel (vintage and modern) configuration using four 12AX7s and two 6L6s. It has a shared EQ, with mid and bright boost switches for the clean channel. It also has a parallel effects loop, and can drive 4, 8, or 16 ohm loads.

The cabinet contains four pre-China Celestion V30s, and has 4 ohm and 16 ohm inputs.

Sound-wise, the vintage channel is reminiscent of a Fender. The gain structure sends it into crunch fairly early, so the EMGs in my Rhoads are not the pickups to use for a clean sound. The stacked double coil in the middle position of my PC1 produces a great clean tone, however.

The Modern channel is so sweet on this thing. The Bridge position on my Rhoads into the Modern channel is an unreal experience. Palm-muting the low E is like getting kicked in the chest when playing Metallica or Megadeth. This would not be a good death metal amp, but for my style of music (Rush, Megadeth), there is plenty of gain. The sound is more similar to a Marshall than Mesa, and the high gain is far less "buzzy" than a Mesa as well; which is one of the things I liked about it.

The amp is entirely hand wired, and the wiring job is a work of art. It is wired entirely point-to-point, and there is not a circuit board to be found. The only boards present have just been drilled through to accept the component which are wired below the board.

I doubt many, if any, of you have had a chance to hear one of these, but I highly recommend audition one if you get the chance.

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Re: New Zwengel Half Stack

looks cool! Have any sound clips?

Comment

I don't have any sound clips of this amp, but here are some clips that were made by the guy who sold it to me. My amp is a "Banshee"; these clips were made using a prototype of Carl's new amp, the Banshee II, and my speaker cabinet. Both amps are very similar circuit-wise and identical tube-wise, so these clips should give you an excellent idea of what mine sounds like:

Zwengel sound clips

- E.

Comment

Congratulations AlexL...cool looking amp and cab. From the clips it sounds like its a killer sounding amp too, I like alot.
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

I have never heard of the brand.. how's the sound?
          By the way, you have KILLER guitars!
          Love both!!!

Comment

I really like the lead tones from the sound clips...has a pretty distinctive voicing too....nice score...kinda sounds like a souped up legacy to my ears

Comment

Thanks, guys. This was the first amp that I have ever heard where I said "That's it, that's my tone, I'm getting one". I have been amp shopping for a while and was going to get a Mesa until I heard the Zwengel. After that, there was no alternative.

- E.

Comment

It looks and sounds great! Congrats!
                And yes, very nice guitars too!

Anders
                https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Working...
                X